Cost/Value of Trane 10 Year Extended Warranty

Old 09-18-06, 09:20 AM
Cost/Value of Trane 10 Year Extended Warranty

I'm about to do an AC replacement and buy a Trane 16i 5 ton system. I normally never buy extended warranties, but with the cost of AC repairs being so high in this case I like the idea of no worries for 10 years.

I have been quoted prices varying from $485 - $625 for the Trane Extended Warranty 10yr parts and labor.

I expect this is one of those areas where installers like to pad their profit so am interested in anyone's experience with how much this should cost.

Also, I haven't been able to read the 'fine print' of the warranty yet so if anyone is familiar with loopholes that make these a bad deal I would love to hear them. thx in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-06, 02:45 PM
I brought it a couple of years ago when I had my new XV90 furnace put in. Like you said it's a peace of mind for the next 10 years.

I think we paid around $420 for it, and it already paid for itself last fall. We had trouble with the board on the furnace.

I didn't recall what on the fine print for the A/C, but I can look and get back to you. What are you looking for under the fine print?

Old 09-19-06, 12:04 PM
thx jay. did the warranty cover everything in your repair or were there exceptions you ended up having to pay for anyway?

one big thing i guess would be refrigerant, since i plan to go with the new 410 type and people here say that causes high cost for service since it all has to be replaced when there is a service performed.

Old 09-19-06, 12:37 PM
If you copy and paste this link into your browser it may answer some of your questions. It goes over what the warranty covers and what it excludes.

http://www.trane.com/Residential/TraneOwners/WarrantyInformation.aspx

Old 09-19-06, 12:38 PM
I didn't have to pay for anything on the warranity call.

Looking at the contract, this is what not cover under warranty.

-Routine maint. or parts that that was not taken care of under regular home owner maint (Filter), keeping coil clean and clear.

-Over time/Holiday/Premium rates.

-Air filter, drain, pump, wires, or anything externail of the equipement.

-Damage or malfunctions cause by water,flood, fire, act of god, and poor install.

-frieght on parts

-non approved service co.

-equipemtn installed in poor enviroment like body shop, beauty shop, or air with high crossosive

-Appearance of equipement.

So, overall, you are good to go.