Central A/C condenser fan "vrooooom" sound

Old 09-21-06, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Central A/C condenser fan "vrooooom" sound

It's Ruud Achiever 12, about 8 years old. Overall operation is excellent.

Several weeks ago, I started hearing a "vroom" or "whooshing" sound from the condenser fan when the unit is running. It's regular, every 1-2 seconds. The the fan is not hitting anything on start, stop, nor while operating.

Is it the fan balance? fan motor? bearings? vertical or horizontal shaft play? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-06, 09:32 AM
Wink

lost here. Does the fan seem to slow down then?Does it have oil ports on it you can oil it? Can you feel the end play? with power off play with it. might find out if in the motor.

ED

Old 09-21-06, 09:45 AM
I'm a little lost too. Are you sure the sound is from the fan? Or, could it be from the compressor?

A whoosh sound could be the compressor on bypass (sort of sounds like compressed air). But it would be impossible to diagnose without being there and having a set a gauges hooked up.

If you have good electrical skills around high voltage, you could disconnect the compressor from the relay and run only the fan to determine if in fact the noise is from the fan.

Old 09-21-06, 06:38 PM
I'm quite sure it's the fan. I've listened to it from all angles. Also, if I press on the center of the fan grill, right where the fan motor is located, there's a definite change in the sound. Most of time, the sound disappears completely.

I lifted the fan assembly and it seems to me that there's too much vertical play in the shaft. But that's just my impression. I can't find any technical info as to the correct amount of play should be.

Old 09-22-06, 05:57 AM
Not sure what you have happening as sounds are hard to diagnose via a forum.

One thing you should look at very closely is the fan blades. Inspect around the rivets for small cracks. Also check that the hub is solidly connected. If any cracks are found replace the blade.

Old 10-06-06, 08:45 AM
"Vrooom" sound resolved

It was insufficient and/or unbalanced air flow to the condenser fan. Cleaning the condenser coil solved the problem.

I clean the coil in the spring. This year we had near flooding weather in the early summer. Once I got the skin off, it appeared that the high water rafted a bunch of fine, dry leaves (curse the southern wax myrtle!) which got sucked into the coil pretty much plastering one side.

Thanks for your help.