The old thermostat was wired this way.
Jumper Betweem W1 and Y
G = Green
C = Blue
R = Red
Y = Yellow
W2 = White
O = Orange

I wired the new thermostat in the following way and I could only get the air handler fan to run the outside unit would not start.

Jumper between RC and R
R = Red
O/B = Orange
Y = Yellow
G = Green
C = Blue
Aux = White

After it would not start the outdoor unit I turned off all power again to all units and turned them back on and tried again. Still no luck. I then put the old tstat back up and it will not start either.

I did run a new wire for the tstat, when I removed the old one and hooked up the new one in the air handler I wired color for color.

Inside the air handler I have the following
Black wire is caped with nothing to it.
Blu from air handler is hooked to blu of condensor unit and tstat
Red from air handler is hooked to red of condensor unit and tstat
Green from the air handler is hooked to green of the tstat
yellow from the tstat is hooked to yellow from the condensor unit
White from the air handler is hooked to white from the tstat and condensor unit

I did not touch the wiring in the outdoor condensor unit but heres how its wired.
C = Blu
R = Red
Y = Yellow
O = Orange
W = Whi

I also tried to manually push the button on the contactor and the fan still did not start after holding it for a few seconds.

I'm sorry if this is lenghty I'm just trying to give as much information as possible. My wife is a tad angry with me that I screw this up, if you could give me some things to try tommroww ill be grateful, I have a good grasp on electrical concepts and I can use a multimeter and ac clamp, I don't have anything to check capacitance though.

Thanks in advance

Roy

Old 09-24-06, 04:57 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When I short red to green the indoor blower runs. I'll be check voltage readings at the outdoor unit in a few mins. When I push the contactor in I'll see if the contactor is putting out 240vac.

Roy

Old 09-24-06, 05:26 AM
G
I think I found my problem, Im only reading 24volts ac on l1 to ground and 12 volts ac to ground on l2. Across the two I'm reading 36 volts ac. I went to the disconnect, opened it up and check outgoing voltage it was still the same. The line side of the breaker is reading 240vac across the two and 120 to ground on each leg. I'm assuming its a bad breaker, if I turn the breaker on and off the voltages on the line side fluxtuate from the readings above to new readings, nothing near 240vac or 120vac. I'm off to the evil big box store, considering no one else is open on sunday. I'll replace the breaker and advise you of the results.

Old 09-24-06, 06:19 AM
G
Replaced the breaker, pushed the contactor the fan and the compressor started. I then put everything back together and set the thermostat to cool and the system is now working again. One last question I have is when I had the air handler open it looks like I have to strip elements, only one is hooked up a white wire, and the black wire to the second one is capped. Was this done to save electricity? Its a 2000 sqft home with what looks like two 12.5kw elements, I may be wrong though theres a 60A breaker feeding the elements. The diagram on the door shows the white wire and black wire from the air handler wire nutted together with the white from the outdoor unit and white from the thermostat.

Roy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: