ac blower fan iz kaputz!

Old 10-13-06, 01:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ac blower fan iz kaputz!

hello everyone! shout out to all the borderline geniuses that make this forum happen, i am in shock and awe!well here is my problem i went to check my attic return air unit which is a carrier.i knew i had a problem when the copper line froze over.i noticed the fan was not blowing.checked the obvious,cap,120v,trans,and thst.i ass---u---me it's the fan?????is it common to have 120v across chassis to ground?only reason i checked it was because when i went to examine the motor i spun it to see if it was stuck or if i could push start it so to speak and to my surprise i got a little wake me up in the mourning in the form of 120 volts across my hand!was not pleasant. fan spun freely by the way its a 3 speed motor.i ass-----u----me(theres that word again)the motor has short??????any info will be most humbly accepted as it was given.thanks to all who contribute to this wonderful site in advance.oh ,how do we dummies contribute to this site to keep the borderline geniuses on the payrole?PS:also forgot to mention that the motors green ground wire that connects to the starter caps retaining bracket screw was cut i shaved some insulation off to test if that might have been the shock problem but when i reconnected the breaker to check fan it sparked the motor and it would spark when i would touch the bare grd wire to the chasis!

Last edited by dingal berry; 10-13-06 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-13-06, 07:56 AM
J
No genius here. It sounds like a shorted motor, but you need a meter to check the resistance to the motor housing to be sure (should be infinite or open). I would disconnect all the wires to the motor (remember where they go) and then do your testing. If you don't have a meter, get one. It will pay for itself with one use.

This is where I would begin.

Good luck.

Old 10-13-06, 11:02 AM
Cool

thanks for the info jim.i'll try the resistance check.will post back and let everyone know what the fix was.

Old 10-13-06, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

If it bit me and all the wires where good it would be a new motor by now.

ED

Old 10-17-06, 04:41 AM
Cool

you said it ed. replaced the motor with one from grainger cost $78 and change plus $5 for the cap. unit is blowing like dizzy on a trumpet. thanks to all who stepped up with informative solutions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: