10 seer condensing unit with 13 seer air handler

Old 03-02-07, 05:07 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what exactly would i have to find out about orfice size to change my air handler to 13 seer. The air handler does have the orifice type instead of txv.

i just need to know how to figure out orfice size

any help would be appreciated

Old 03-02-07, 05:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Just what one is a 10 or a 13 seer???You say one way then the other. I dont think this way will change the seer of a unit for you

Old 03-02-07, 05:32 PM
S
If I'm not mistaken, the hvac industry increased the seer rating by oversizing the coils both indoor and out and using TXV's. Changing the size of piston will change the effectiveness of the ac unit for the worse and lower your seer rather then increase despite your air handler.

Old 03-02-07, 05:42 PM
K
well this guy has a seven year old intertherm 10 seer split unit. He has had it for 7 yrs and went through 4 coils. The only A/H i can get is 13 seer, what would i have to do to make them work, i thoughtr i would have to change the orfice for the bigger coils in the 13 seer air handler. someone told me i just might have to adjust pressures to get it to run right and use the same orfice that is in it now. I just wanted some more opinions

Last edited by kartracer; 03-02-07 at 05:45 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 03-04-07, 05:22 PM
A
Cool

Changing out the air handler might fix his problem, but my first question would be why has he gone through so many coils?

The best thing would be to try and address this question first.

If you match the 13 SEER air handler with a 10 seer condenser you will have a slightly better 10 SEER. The SEER rating will not change very much.

I would recommend a new TXV though, it will help maximize coil splits. The oriface type is not as good.

Try testing the refrigerant for acid - maybe that's contributing to the coil problem?

Old 03-07-07, 11:02 AM
K
i talked to goodman and they said that interthrm used zinc on their coils and it counter acted with the copper and that is why they stopped using those type of coils.,, so you think i should use the same orrifce size that is currently in the old unit

he said this unit was omnly put in 7 yrs ago and i though maybe he had a burnout which would put acid in refridg. like you say but he said his old unit worked fine and no burnout. I am going to put the acid neutrelizer in anyway to be on the safe side and do a tripple evac with nitrogen just to be sure though

Last edited by kartracer; 03-07-07 at 11:06 AM. Reason: addded something
Old 03-07-07, 11:10 AM
K
Also to all other who are responding or might respond. Im not that worried about the seer ratng i just dint want this guy to have to buy a new coil every 8 months or so. I just wanted to know if i put in a 13 seer air handker if i had to change the orrifce to a different size to make up for the bigger coils in the airhandler, maybe my first post didnt explain good enough. SORRY

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: