Burned/blown Out Contactor For Amana (#rcb60b2a) Outdoor Unit(compressor)

Old 08-14-07, 09:43 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Burned/blown Out Contactor For Amana (#rcb60b2a) Outdoor Unit(compressor)

Please help. Our compressor stopped working as we noticed that the indoor unit was blowing out hot air. We went outside to that unit and could only hear a slight hum from the outdoor unit(compressor). We would move the brown wire that comes from the house to the outdoor unit and I would hear like a clunk as if the compressor is about to turn on but it never would. I fgured there was a short. I told me wife that the problem seemed to be coming from whre the brown wire from the house connects to the outdoor unit.Opened up the panel on the unit and found that the MARS #91321 contactor had burned out on the pole that has the thick white/cream ground wire attached to it. The pole that has the thick black wire that attaches to it is fine, no burns or melting . Still perfectly intact. I need a replacement . This happened to us 2 years ago and I called an A/C guy to repair this for me. I am almost sure that this should be an easy fix. I am skilled in electrical work and carpentry, just not A/C. The CONTACTOR part has this info on it: MARS 91321 , 24 VAC, 50/60, 3100Y2Q600, E75492 COIL. Also I cannot find that exact part for replacement. I am wondering why I keep have to replace the contactor. We just made 6 years this past June. We bought this house brand new. What could be the problem. I did read an old thread about tstat being an issue. I do have a teen son that constantly toys with the tstat(moving from 79 to 65-70). My wife will go back and move it to 80. This has been the norm for the past 60 years and the will be the second time that we have to replace the contactor. I also went to a sight that matched my unit with a 40 amp contactorand I think that the MARS 2 pole contactor #91321 is a 30 amp.
Your input would be greatly appreciated. I want to take care of this today ASAP. I am in Texas and it is hot as_____. Oh, do you suggest the I get a digital tstat ? If so, can I self-install. What is the best brand tstat. What is the best contactor for the Amana I have.

Jessie Hewett

Last edited by hewnew; 08-14-07 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Left out important info
Old 08-14-07, 09:50 AM
J
just about any infinite contactor, 24vac coil with 30-40 amp contact rating would work

Old 08-15-07, 04:58 AM
H
Thumbs up Burned/blown Out Contactor For Amana (#rcb60b2a) Outdoor Unit-'FOLLOW-UP"

Thanks for your help. Went to local A/C supply store and bought a 40 amp 2 pole contactor. Took about 15 minutes to complete the job. House is freezing. My son goes off to school this Thursday so there will be less interaction between him and his mother toying with the t-stat. I will eventually replace manual t-stat with a digital one. Do you think this will minimize the likelihood of having to replace the contactor? What is a good brand digital t-stat ? Can I self-install a digital t-stat?

Hewnew

Old 08-15-07, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I don't think replacing the thermostat will make one bit of difference with the life of the new contactor.

Two popular brands of thermostats are Honeywell and White-Rogers. A lot of people like the upper line Honeywell Vision Pro series, since they have a touch screen. And yes, you can easily replace the thermostat yourself. There are usually four color coded wires to connect. Make sure you turn off the power to the furnace and AC before you replace the thermostat, though.

Old 08-15-07, 01:55 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

If you check at that AC supply store. Ask for a time delay to go into the 24V wire to the unit. That way when they play with the tstat. The unit will take a short time to come back on. This also helps if you have power outage around there.

Old 08-18-07, 06:38 PM
D
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
If you check at that AC supply store. Ask for a time delay to go into the 24V wire to the unit. That way when they play with the tstat. The unit will take a short time to come back on. This also helps if you have power outage around there.
If you decide to install a time delay, be sure to a DELAY ON BREAK timer and NOT a DELAY ON MAKE timer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: