How to clear a blocked drain pipe?

Old 03-08-07, 03:20 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to clear a blocked drain pipe?

I think something is blocking my AC unit's drain water from getting to the main drainage pipe. I have two pipes coming out from the front of the unit on the 2nd floor - one leads to an outside drainage pipe, the other terminates around a bend and has a kill-switch buoy on top in the event that it collects too much water. After about 30 minutes of running the AC the secondary pipe fills up and the AC turns off via the kill switch.

The main downward pipe is clear of debris, so that's why I think the pipe (with the red arrow in the picture) is blocked. What might be the easiest way to check / clear it out? Model is a Carrier FX4BNF030.

Picture: http://fileanchor.com/92528-r.jpg

Last edited by Radnor; 03-08-07 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-08-07, 03:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

I cant get the pic . Take a shop vac and blow then suck on the other drain line.

Old 05-05-07, 08:38 AM
D
Question blocked drain pipe

I've encountered this problem every summer for the past 3 years (with a 7 yr old Trane system). When I was not so financially strapped, I used to have a service contract with the company that installed the system. One of the things that they would do was to drop some sort of tablet into the float-valve intake hole....I wish that I could learn what this stuff was without going back to "professionals" who always seemed to find "other things" that I NEEDED for them to do....which got way out of hand....and out of reach within my budget. Any suggestions aside from doing the spraying of water & bleach through the system would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Dennis

Old 07-03-07, 03:59 PM
D
Smile Thank you!

Shop-vacs rule!

The shop-vac trick worked like a charm and saved a maintenance call.... If somehing were to be stuck in the pipe, what type of snake would you use?

Anyway, thanks for the great advice!

Old 07-03-07, 04:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

If somehing were to be stuck in the pipe, what type of snake would you use?

Most of the drains pipes are PVC. We would Just cut it apart and put new in. PVC pipe is very very cheap. Most of the time the shop vac if you suck and blow with it ,it will do it. Some clorox now and then helps to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: