Heat Pump/AC Air Handler Replacement $

Old 03-27-07, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump/AC Air Handler Replacement $

Hello,

I have a 1,980 sq ft house with a 2-ton heat pump/air conditioning system with a bad evaporator coil. A technician inspected it and said the entire system should be replaced with a 3-ton unit because it is too small for the house. My home warranty company, of course, does not want to do that.

The warranty company has offered a buyout of $627.10 to replace my air handler. My understanding is the air handler is the inside unit and the condenser is the outside unit. Replacing the air handler will also replace the bad evaporator coil.

The technician says a new air handler will help some, but he'd also like to replace the condenser. He suggested getting the company to pay for a 3-ton air handler knowing that somewhere down the line a new (hopefully) 3-ton condenser will also be installed.

Does the $627.10 sound like a reasonable offer? How can I challenge the home warranty company if I don't like it? Any advice from experienced homeowners and HVAC people would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Mark in Virginia

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-07, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First your home warranty company should have an A/C company/s that do their warranty work. The A/C company will need to write that the Air Handler is condemmed do to a leak in the evaporator coil. They need to give you and the insurance company a estimate on a Air Handler replacement and I guarantee $627 wont even pay for half of it. The warranty company then may send another A/C company out for a second opinion. Such wonder people they are!

The warranty company will only pay for a replacement do to a broken part and not an upgrade of a whole system because your system was too small.