Installing Secondary Drain Pan

Old 03-31-07, 08:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Installing Secondary Drain Pan

My AC is in the attic, and I recently had a home inspection done, and he said I need a secondary drain pan.
How difficult is this to do? Also, how exactly is it done? I assume it isn't just put on the attic floor, but is suspended from the unit, and put at an angle to ensure that it drains.
Anyway, I'd like to do it myself, but don't really know where to start.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Billy C. Gillispie

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-07, 10:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Most of the time this is pretty straight forward, stop by your favorite hvac supply house and purchase a prefabbed drain pan of adequate size (at least a couple of inches bigger all the way around than your unit) dont worry about sloping the pan it needs to be as level as possible. A overflow cut off switch in the secondary drain pan is highly recommended. Now run some pvc drain pipe to a drain over a place like a doorway or window where if the secondary drain pan where to fill up and drain it would catch your attention quickly. Would make a nice little DIY project just be sure to shut off power to the unit and try not to tear up any ductwork when raising the unit to slide the new pan underneath.

Old 04-01-07, 07:17 AM
You kind of brought up another question I had. The unit is actually suspended in the attic. So does the pan need to be suspended as well, with the unit basically sitting in it, or can it just sit below the unit(either suspended lower down, or just sitting on the floor)? Thanks.

Billy C. Gillispie.

Old 04-01-07, 08:07 AM
You can do either one. Whether you suspend it below the air unit, below the entire unit, ductwork and all, or on the floor below the unit, it has to be fairly level, like Mr. Fixit said. However, it should be close to the air handler if possible. If there were an overflow of condensate, ductwork or equipment between the flow and the secondary drain pan could divert the water away from the place you want it to go, the pan. Suspending under the unit is probably the best plan unless there are reasons it can't go there.

Old 04-01-07, 12:01 PM
It can be suspended underneath. Do you think it should be right up against the unit, so that the unit is basically sitting inside the pan, or should the pan be suspended a few inches below the unit?

Old 04-01-07, 07:54 PM
Wink

You can suspended it underneath the unit . But Id put it down on the rafters. Run the drain line out side. I dont get why you dont have one there now all codes call for it.
Id also put a EZ TRAP in the drain line from the unit. This way the overflow switch is there to shut off the unit before it fills the pan. They work a lot better there than in the pan .

Old 04-02-07, 08:03 PM
The house was built in 1992, and I don't think it was required back then. It actually has 2 drains out of the drain pan. One goes down into the utility room and drains with the washing machine, and one goes outside (but to the side of house where you wouldn't really see it). But, it does have 2 so if one got clogged up.

So you would just put the secondary right down on the attic floor? What would be the best way to secure it?

Old 04-02-07, 09:47 PM
Wink

Right on the floor there . Or on some blocks so that the drain line from it can go down hill to the outside over the insulation