coil leak on my central ac

Old 04-07-07, 10:57 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
coil leak on my central ac

I want to know the guidelines on checking a coil leak. My repaireman said
i could have a coil leak. He had to add freon to my unit. He added 3 cans of freon.
Is this expensive!! How much am i looking at? I have 3ton unit. Was this ac repairman
cheating me out. Cause first he said my unit was low on freon. He added the freon.
Then he said we had a coil leak. He didnt show me where the leak was. I told him
what price range am i looking at. He said it would be costly. Should i trust this
repaireman?""

Old 04-07-07, 11:40 AM
J
Perhaps you wanted to say three pounds of freon, not three cans. Anyway, if I get a call and see the system is low on freon, I will add the freon. This way, I get the system going right away. A leak check (usually at additional cost) is in order for known leaking systems. Technicians have numerous ways to find leaks. The most popular are: Electronic "sniffers", UV dye, ultrasonic and Big Blue (which is sort of like soap bubbles). Once the location of the leak has been determined, a price for repair is given. If a customer has a really slow leak (one pound every couple of years), I see no hurry for repairs. Others in this field may disagree.
In your case, we really don't know how fast the leak is. We know three pounds, but we don't know over what period of time. If the system stops performing well within a couple of months or sooner, you should repair it asap.

It's really hard to say how much a new coil installed will cost. A very rough estimate is somewhere between $700 to $1400. Many factors determine price including: the city, the type of unit, the location (closet,attic), how difficult the install is, etc.

If you are not comfortable with your current tech, consider someone else.

Old 04-09-07, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Im with Jim Was that 3 lb or if 3 cans Id for sure get a new tech there.He should have looked for the leak . Or put in a Uv or dytel dye . So he could have checked it out later.

Old 04-14-07, 06:28 AM
D
coil leak

Okay, Now i hear a loud noise outside my unit. When i turn on my ac this noise
wasnt heard of before. So i decided to call him again and told him to come look
at the unit and hear the loud noise from the ac unit outside. He now tells me maybe
that noise is because he added to much freon. He said he belives he overcharged
the unit. Then tells me there wasnt a leak after all. He says also he might give
me back my money. He charged me 100.00 for total. Why is he changing hes mind all
of of sudden . Please explain!!

Old 04-14-07, 11:08 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id check out and see if he is EPA or not to work on the AC units and the freon. Get all your $$$ back and call anouther tech to look at it .If he said no tell him you will call the BBB and EPA.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: