Bryant/Carrier 17 seer vs. 21 seer?

Old 05-03-07, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bryant/Carrier 17 seer vs. 21 seer?

I'm looking at the specs for the bryant 187A 17Seer and it has a 2-stage reciprocating compressor, while the 21 SEEr version is a 2 stage scroll compressor. also, the cheaper Bryants seem to be almost all scroll.

why is the 17 SEER evolution a reciprocating. I thought scrolls were better?
All the cheaper single stage are scroll, and the most expensive 20 seer is scroll, but the 17 SEER is a reciprocating. Any ideas.

I'm purchasing a 3 ton unit to go with a evolution furnace and controls.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-07, 12:38 PM
What part of the country are you located to justify such high SEER rated equipment ? I don't think 21 SEER has truly been achieved as of yet. 16 - 18 is pushing it if the entire system is engineered just right.

The compressor is a small part of the SEER rating. The unit will have much larger condensor coils.

Old 05-03-07, 03:56 PM
I live in NY metro. I now that from a pure cost stand point it doesn't make sense, but I'm looking at it from a conservation point of view. But I don't want to buy a unit that is going to be more repair prone. I don't mind paying a little more upfront, but I don't have time for repair hassles.

Still, I'm curious about the reciprocating vs. scroll. Why is bryant/carrier selling a 2-stage reciprocating on their 17 SEER, but a scroll on their 20 SEER.
And many of their single stage are also scrolls.

Any idea about bryant's choice of a reciprocating for this model?

Is there any advantage for reciprocating vs. scroll if the SEER is the same?

Old 05-03-07, 06:39 PM
If you don't want repair hassles, skip Carrier/Bryant [sister brands] altogether. Look at Trane/American Standard [sister brands] or Lennox.

Old 05-03-07, 07:10 PM
Wink

For one thing with the Trane Xl19i it has two compressors so one is running or two. If you check on the two-stage compressors units. When on one stage it just unloads the other Cylinder. So if I have it right it still take 75% power to run. You say this compressor or this one . Some of the paper work I have reads like this.
Selection of compressors are application-related and change as new qualified designs are released.
If you do the whole thing you get a 10 year warranty on it all

Old 05-03-07, 07:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
"If you don't want repair hassles, skip Carrier/Bryant [sister brands] altogether. Look at Trane/American Standard [sister brands] or Lennox."

Carrier/Bryant are great brands. Why do you mention repair hassles? ALL brands have repair issues.

Old 05-07-07, 12:46 PM
Any more info

Well, I'm buying Bryant. Like everyone says, I purchasing based on contractor, and he installs Bryant. But I still have my question:

Any idea about bryant's choice of a reciprocating for this 17 SEER model. model # 187. http://www.bryant.com/products/acheatpumps/ac/evolution.shtml#

Is there any advantage for reciprocating vs. scroll if the SEER is the same?