TRANE XB central air question

Old 05-11-07, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool TRANE XB central air question

Dear all,

I have existing gas furnace heating system in the house (1500 sqft), I am looking to add a central air (Trane XB 13 SEER) before the summer. I am looking for a system with low initial cost, since I do not intent to keep the house for over 5 years.

There will be only one zone (1st and 2nd floor) using the existing ducts. I have asked two Trane dealers, one gives me a quote of $5000 to finish the job all inclusive. The material include the Trane XB 13 SEER air conditioner, and coil and the thermostat panel etc.

Are there anything else that I should ask the dealer? Is the price good? Is the XB 13 a good choice?

Thank you in advance for any information.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-07, 07:28 PM
Wink

You dont say where you are .So if you run the AC a lot or not. Did they do a AC load on the home??AS to size???? You say 5 years in the home. So yes a seer of 13 is ok. But a coil, line and condenser and tstat $5000. is high for here in a 1500sq ft home. Then again cant see the home

Old 05-11-07, 08:51 PM
Thanks Ed.
I am in Boston area, the AC will probably run for 3 months a year depends on the weather. they charge 16 hours labour (89 per hour) and $700 electrical work as well.

Since the basement is always cool, is there anyway to bring the cool air from the basement to upstairs using the furnace? is this part of the function of the A/C? Apology if I sound know nothing about the A/C. Thanks again.

Old 05-11-07, 09:43 PM
You need a load calc.

I'm from Taxachusettes but live iive in VA 1/2 step up. YOu do have some days where the summer heat is on.

You didn't indicate that you had A/C just a furnace. Heating and cooling applications have fans and duct work sized for cooling. Which means you have a duct work problem at step one.

If your only going to be in the house 5 years why pay all that money for Trane? Go cheap with Goodman. Ducane, Bryant.

Also find someone with the brains to reverse engineer your system. Meaning that although you may need X cooling you have X duct work. Basically size cooling to the existing duct work.

Anyoe Else?

Chris

Old 05-12-07, 01:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
Reverse Engineering

I agree with the idea of having a manual J performed. Once the heat gain is determined, the duct work must be evaluated to see if it will carry the amount of air needed for the prescribed A/C. If all is well, that's great but chances are it won't be & the ductwork will have to be modified or possibly the A/C downsized.

Old 05-12-07, 02:46 PM
If you have short summers and want low cost since you will be moving, you might be better off with a few widow shakers.

Old 05-16-07, 07:18 AM
Thanks

Thanks everyone for taking time to reply. I am asking a couple of more contractors to take a look and will decide from there. Enjoy the summer...