What do you think? (Thermostat)

Old 06-01-07, 07:45 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb What do you think? (Thermostat)

Trying to make a long story short, my son-in-law talked me into installing a programmable thermostat with multiple settings, it just didn’t work for the wife and I, we were used to our ole’ manual thermostat that we could change the setting on whenever we wished, soooooo I changed it back to a new manual one and now it seems to cycle too often, the outdoor temp is 85°, the AC kicks on for about 10 minutes and off for about 10 minutes and on for 10 minutes and off again. It maintains a nice consistent indoor temp, should I be worried and is it cycling too often. What do you professionals think?

Old 06-01-07, 08:20 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
your new thermostat may have a setting for the anticipator or possibly you have it set to the wrong type of unit, dig out the installation instructions and adjust to minimize the cycling. It should not do a 10 on 10 off cycle totally unacceptable

Old 06-01-07, 09:12 PM
H
Question proper setting?

I purchased a Honeywell model CT87N thermostat and have the cycle rate switches set to off switch #1 and off switch #2 as recommended for "gas warm air", I'm assuming that is the proper setting for a gas heating system. The other options are "steam or gravity", "high efficiency warm air", and "electric warm air". Any suggestions??? Anyone familiar with this thermostat???

Old 06-01-07, 09:24 PM
H
Question

Could/Would I cause harm if I tried the other cycle rate options... "steam or gravity", "high efficiency warm air", or "electric warm air".

I sure hate to buy yet another thermostat, I purchased a Honeywell programmable thermostat, and then I purchased a manual Honeywell CT87K which wouldn't work because it is only good for three wires and my system has four, I blame this bad purchase on Honeywell, the packaging don't say anything about three wire thermostat, you only find out this info when you take out the instructions, guess Honeywell sells lots more thermostats this way, and then I purchased the Honeywell CT87N, supposedly the correct thermostat, but it cycles too fast. I wish I had given up on Honeywell $100 ago.

Sorry! Had to vent!!!!

Old 06-02-07, 06:55 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hmmm interesting I guess we would need to go back and double check the area where this thermostat is installed. Is it possible that the supply air is blowing directly at the tstat some tstats are much more sensitive to drafts than others? Is the opening in the wall behind the tstat sealed so it is not affected by a draft inside the wall? Next thing is to make sure that the unit is not shutting down due to some system problem that has nothing to do with the thermostat, closely observe the tstat when the unit shuts down is the indicator telling you that it is still calling for cooling yet the unit has shut off? Sometimes a complaint of rapid cycling can be traced to a grossly oversized unit you mentioned that it SEEMED to cycle more frequently, perhaps it has done that all along?

Old 06-02-07, 06:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Thermostat

Do not use the "electric warm air" setting. To do so will bring on the fan as soon as there is a call for heat. I may be mistaken but I think the cooling cycle rate is fixed.

Old 06-04-07, 10:20 AM
H
Lightbulb Email from Honeywell

Honeywell...
"Normal cycling for a cooling system is approximately 3 cycles per hour. A cooling system that is using 50% of its cooling capacity to maintain a temperature will cycle 3 times per hour. This results in cycling of approximately 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off. The time that the cooling system is on and off will vary depending on the type of home, size of the air conditioning unit, and the difference between the outside temperature and the setpoint. On the CT87N thermostats, the cooling cycle rate is not adjustable."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: