Replacing Condo A/C

Old 06-05-07, 04:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Replacing Condo A/C

I live in a 500 square foot, one bedroom condo in Virginia. It was built in 50 as a military apartment (lowest bidder) and condo-ized in 1980. Last year my 25 year old carrier died. I got 6 bids to replace. $5500 was the lowest. Could not afford. Ordered a replacement RUUD ceiling-mounted air handler and outside compressor. I cut out the old system - thinking i would replace the supply lines, i cut them too short to reattach. I have a new set in the box. My first challenge is to FISH the new set into place. I have access to the basement - pretty messy with lots of old wires & pipes. I am looking for advice as to whether i should attempt to replace - not exactly sure how to FISH and BEND the new. Or just flush & extend the OLD ones...? Thanks for your feedback - i have several additional challenges including how to attach to the old (short) duct system. with duct board? Where to find? etc etc
i remain determined to succeed - but the HOT WEATHER is coming! and i want to stay married....
Tom

Last edited by Grady; 06-05-07 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Deleted Phone Number
Old 06-07-07, 03:14 AM
Going to be high 90's tomorrow...

Anyone have any advice? i will be in "hot water" if i don't get this project rolling soon - thanks!
Tom

Old 06-07-07, 09:16 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Extend the refrigerant lines and install a new filter drier, why do you want to flush are you changing refrigerants from R22 to R410a or did the old lines have a leak? Oh and on the duct, you should be able to find some generic lite gage metal fittings at your local big boxe store that can be field adjusted (butchered) to work for you to tie back into the existing system.

Old 06-07-07, 10:27 AM
too old?

i thought that being 27 years old that might need replacing... no known leaks. What is best way to extend? Recommended fittings? Or just expand & join? what is a "big box store"? the local AC Supply house? THANKS for your assistance - the "looks" are beginning to get hostile as the temps go up - if you get my drift
Tom

Old 06-07-07, 10:39 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
you will need refrigeration grade tubing and fittings availiable at your local friendly HVAC supplier, you will also need the special grade of silver solder for refrigeration lines. You have access to a oxy/acy torch and know how to use it right? If you have a HVAC supply house nearby take a look at the stock lite gage duct fittings that they have in their sheetmetal department they will most likely have something that will work for you. Copper refrigeration tubing should last for a lot of years. Some commercial installations that I have seen where installed in the 60's and still utilize the same copper piping.

Old 06-14-07, 04:34 AM
RE:Work to do....

I have some work to do to acquire the tools and skills necessary to complete this new installation. I am thinking that i will fish a new set of copper - since the old stuff is O-L-D and nasty looking.

Tom B

Old 08-27-07, 05:25 AM
Red face Cool enough to start work

Temps are back down in the 80's this week - so i will begin the process of hooking up my new indoor & outdoor unita. Have to find a "Big Box" Store to find some metal ducting to "butcher" and i will be looking for a torch to borrow/rent do the soldering - any tips from anyone in the Northern Virginia area?
Thanks - Tom

Old 08-27-07, 05:54 AM
Sorry Tom but we do not give sealed system DIY advice here. The ductwork and electrical ,etc.. are welcome but the sealed sysem side is not.

Please copy and paste the link in your browser and read the reasoning. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=315401

Old 08-27-07, 07:34 AM
Talking looking for that "Big Box" store

Nada problem on the sealed stuff info, Mr. Kool-Aid
Just looking for that "Big Box" store for some duct work in Northern VA (Falls Church) area - - I appreciate any/all advice i can get.
Tom

Old 08-27-07, 07:37 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Your best bet for the tie in on the duct work is go to a sheet metal shop and they can make up what you need. Like Matt said call a tech for the lines and the ac freon work. ( you dont solder freon lines)

Old 08-27-07, 09:10 AM
Question Thanks Ed

That is the plan - do what i can do and call a tech for the licensed part. Is there a trick to finding a Sheet Metal Shop that would do small jobs? I have called several, but they seem uninterested in the DIY guy - like myself.
Tom

Old 08-31-07, 04:12 AM
Talking Price Quotation - ouch

OK
I have the RUUD air handler - mounted on the ceiling - ready to connect to electric, supply lines, duct(need 3 feet of new duct fabricated to replace old duct board) and condensate drain. I have a new digital thermostat ready to hookup. I have the outside unit placed on the pad and ready for hookup. I need new supply lines run - i have them and a new dryer in the box and ready. I need a new electrical disconnect outside (old one's rusted out). My first estimate to complete is ONE DAY and $2800. Seems a bit steep for 8 hours and maybe $100 in additional parts. Any thoughts? Should I continue to get estimates? My wife is ready to KILL me.
Tom

Old 09-02-07, 02:23 PM
Angry OK Contractor in the House

OK - no comments on $2800 for 8 hours work. Whatever. The crack team had no clue how to wire the RUUD UBHC-14-J06-NFG air handler - because i did not have the documentation for the unit. It came with a "spec" sheet but no schematic or diagram. Not going to be able to finish until we find this diagram - can anyone help out with this?
Tom

Old 09-11-07, 11:08 AM
Red face

Condo AC is working. I still have to reinstall the suspended ceiling with 16x25 filter and patch 7 large holes in the sheet rock where they cut to feed the new supply lines. A/C contractors apparently don't include those two tasks as part of the job > Checking account is $2898 DOLLARS emptier... ouch. That's almost $6 for every square foot of the unit that is now air conditioned. :mask:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: