Central A/C Unit working too hard

Old 06-05-07, 06:46 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Central A/C Unit working too hard

Bought this house last year. A/C unit (3 ton carrier about 10 years old) worked hard last year while he had too many days of over 100 degree temps. Caulked all the windows, put in more insulation, new filter (old one so dirty couldn't see through it).

Now it is 95 degrees outside and my A/C isn't doing much to cool the house. Got the thermostat set at 80 degrees (hey thats 15 degrees cooler then outside). AC runs for 20 minutes off for 9 minutes. If I set the thermostat any lower the thing runs for almost an hour and then shuts off for about 10 minutes. Can't afford the high electric bill this year and need to do something.

Don't know what to do. Can't afford an new unit. Really can't afford anything more than a service check.

Is there anything I can do myself before I HAVE to call a service technician????

Please help

Mitch

Old 06-05-07, 07:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Working too hard

If your A/C is cycling at all in those kinds of temperatures, it doesn't sound like it is doing too bad. You can call a service person to check it out if you wish.

Old 06-05-07, 09:27 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok, I was just worried about it. I'm a first-time homeowner and all the places I have lived before have had window units or it was an apartment. I thought something was wrong because it was running for so long and then stopping for such a short time.

It keeps the house at the temp I set on the thermostat it just takes it a long time to get it there. I 'll continue doing my weatherizing and see how things go.

Thanks for the response.

Mitch

Old 06-06-07, 10:26 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A properly sized central air conditioning system should run almost 100% of the time on the hottest days of the year. Also, AC systems are designed to MAINTAIN the set temperature, they are not designed to quickly cool down a heated house. If your weather is already at 95 degrees, then I'd expect your AC to be running much of the time.

Old 06-06-07, 11:25 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You said new filter . You should but a new one in every 30 to 90 days for sure. If the old one was that bad. You might check and see that the AC coil is clean and lets all the air through it. Also that the condenser coil is cleaan also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: