central air free on replaced.

Old 06-08-07, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
central air free on replaced.

Hello, while i was at work my wife called and had our central air looked at. The guy told her that all we needed was our free on replaced. Well after he done everything and charged us he told her that there is probably a leak somewhere and will cost much more to fix.

Isnt it illegal to replace the free on with out finding the leak? Where should i go from here?

Thanks
Cliff

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-07, 03:46 PM
"Freon" is one word and is a brand name. Took me a while to figure out what you were trying to say! hehe

Anyway, refrigerant don't need to be "replaced", unless you had a leak and needs to be charged up.

Yes, they should find a leak and make the repairs before they add refrigerant to the system.. Did they say where the leak was at, or didn't even bother looking for it?

Old 06-08-07, 05:24 PM
No, he did not even bother looking.
I apologize for the spelling this is our first home and this is all new to us. When he first looked at the system he said that we were low on refrigerant and it would be x much per pound and x much for the labor. So she got excited and said ok. Then after he did this he told her that there is probably a leak and eventually will need to be replaced but would cost somewhere around 800$ because it could be anywhere.

Cliff

Old 06-08-07, 06:59 PM
Usually leak detection is an extra service. It would be hard to quote a price without knowing what is leaking. In my experience, most leaks are in the evaporator coil. BUT, this must be confirmed with 100% certainty before parts are replaced.

The correct term is refrigerant, but even us techs often call it freon.

Whenever freon needs to be added, you have a leak. You are not required to repair a leak for your type of system. But, the cost of frequently adding freon could end up quite high.