Frozen High side line

Old 06-08-07, 04:39 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Frozen High side line

Hi. I have a York central A/C unit. Last night I noticed it wasn't shutting off or cycling. I changed the filter earlier in the week. Today I cleaned the evaporator and condenser coils, hoping that might make it run more efficiently. As it turns out, the highside line is freezing just before it hooks up to the evaporator. The Flare for the highside line is not frozen, but the flare for the evaporator (along with the fitting in between) is freezing. I thought it might be an obstruction or something. I cracked the lines to see if I could flush something out, but that didn't seem to work. Any thoughts?

thanks,
Len

Old 06-08-07, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You opened up the refrigerant lines!?! YIKES!?!!

Frozen lines area result of low refrigerent.

You need to be EPA certified to open up the lines as well.

Call a tech!

Old 06-08-07, 04:53 PM
L
Okay. I was hoping that perhaps it wasn't simply low on charge. But let me make sure I have you right. Whenever any line freezes, Highside or low, it is caused by low charge?

Thanks.
Len

Old 06-08-07, 07:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Len

If the high side line is freezing just before it enters the evaporator, you could have both a low charge & a restriction. By opening the line & intentionally venting refrigerant into the atmosphere, you have violated federal law & left yourself open for major fines of up to $25,000 & jail time of up to 5 years. Please call a certified tech to work on your equipment.

Old 06-08-07, 07:16 PM
J
You need a tech. In order to diagnose you would need line pressures and temperatures. You would also have to know how to interpret those numbers.

Are you sure the high side (liquid line) is freezing? Letting out freon is not the way to go.

Old 06-08-07, 07:25 PM
L
Grady,

Thanks. I used to work for an HVAC guy as an apprentice back in the early 1990's. I was mostly a sheet metal guy, but I also went on several repair calls with him. I wasn't aware of the new 1994 law. Oops. On the bright side, I doubt I let out more than a fraction of a fraction of an ounce.

Is it illegal to put a set of gauges on a unit if your are not certified?

Thanks,

Len

Old 06-08-07, 07:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Gauges

Yes it is illegal to put on gauges if you are not certified because you are going into the refrigerant carrying side of the system. You can do all of the electrical you want but stay away from the refrigerant side.

Old 06-08-07, 07:42 PM
C
Yes it is

Unless you are EPA certified to work with refrigerants, you can look at it and thats about it, period. Not that it's all that hard to give the government money and get certified. But the law is the law.

I think I can say flat out your charge is low. And your lucky.

You've caught your system low on gas where the freezing of the evap coil starts. From there it would freeze the evap, travel down the suction line, and then start freezing the compressor.

You need a certified tech to do a leak search, fix it if found and charge your system. If no leak is found shoot it with dye for the next call.

Old 06-08-07, 07:53 PM
L
Jim,

Yep. I am sure it is the high side (the small line).

Thanks,
Len

Old 06-08-07, 08:01 PM
L
Okay, folks. I am going to call someone on Monday. I won't use the a/c until it's fixed. When I get the results, I'll post them.

Old 06-08-07, 09:46 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You know it could be if you have put gauges on the unit. In the past . That you have contaminate it with noncondensables .
the highside line is freezing just before it hooks up to the evaporator. The Flare for the highside line is not frozen, but the flare for the evaporator (along with the fitting in between) is freezing. I thought it might be an obstruction
That could be why too

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: