Compressor blowing cool air

Old 06-14-07, 09:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Compressor blowing cool air

Hi, been lurking around here a bit and this is my first post.

I live in Minnesota and we're getting a nice humid hot streak the last few days. Two years ago I was low on freon and my Dad (who works in construction) had one of his guys come out and recharge the freon that was found to be low. I don't think he found any leaks at that time. Just charged the unit. That worked great. Today, two years later from when it was charged my A/C is running for 20 hours on Monday at 74 degrees. Set it to 72 on Tuesday because it felt cool, but not like it usually does - something was different, couldn't put my finger on it other than it seemed a little warmer in some parts of the house. Tuesday was probably a little cooler outside than Monday and it still ran 16 hours. 16 hours on Wednesday too. Last year I remember it running 8-10 hours max. I'd say 8-9 on a normal day. 10-12 or those really hot and humid MN days.

The compressor outside is blowing cool air. Not at all hotter than the air outside air, if anything cooler. I know nothing about A/C units, but my Pops said the air blowing out of the compressor should be 10-15 hotter than the outside air. Not a chance! It's cool air.

1. Does it seem that I have a leak and am low on Freon again?
2. Is it other than freon and an issue with the compressor?
3. There doesn't seem to be much air being forced through registers. Is that a sign of anything? I can hear the blower and it sounds like it always does when the air is on. I have to hold my hand about an inch away to feel the cool air (and it definitely is cool). Registers seem really constricting now that I pay attention to it. Took one register off and felt much more air forced through.

I have a Carrier unit. Not sure the model, but I live in a townhome built in '95 if that helps.

PS - I change the filter monthly and it's never very dirty. I few dust balls here and there, but it's never full of dust.

Thanks much,
Andrew

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-07, 09:43 PM
Wink

The compressor outside is blowing cool air.

Was the compressor also on??? If so Id say yes your low on freon. With everything running inside and out. Feel the copper lines as the go into the condenser outside. The big one should be cold and wet. The small on hot to warm.
Also when your low on freon the inside coil can ice up and that will cut down on your air. Dont let it run you can let the inside blower on.

Old 06-16-07, 07:15 AM
"Also when your low on freon the inside coil can ice up and that will cut down on your air. Dont let it run you can let the inside blower on."

Ok, the large line at the furnace is starting to ice up. Weird thing is that last time I was low on freon the small line iced up at the furnace. As far as the unit outside, large line cold not wet, small line room temp at best, not warm at all.

I live in a townhome so I walked over to my neighbors unit and that one the small line is hot and the large line cold and wet. And it's blowing hot air versus cool air on my unit.

What did you mean by don't let it run you can let the inside blower on? I don't get that...please explain and thanks for your help!