Need info on my old Carrier unit - and help...

Old 06-16-07, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need info on my old Carrier unit - and help...

Howdy my Carrier 38CKB024 started making a horrible humming outside. Air was blowing weakly through the vents but it wasn't cold. I went out and the blower fan wasn't working, it was very warm and it kinda stunk a little (I do have a cold so may just be me). Turned the unit off and did a LOT of Googling. Turned it back on, same noise went back out with a screwdriver to spin the blade and it came back to life, cold air and all. I'm assuming my blower is on it's last legs but figured I might research my unit. Google came up with squat and it isn't listed on Carriers site (bad sign).

-How hard is it to change a blower (I'm quite mechanically and electrically inclined)?
-How old is my unit, SEER rating, tonage, etc?

Thank you all in advance!

Old 06-16-07, 08:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Carrier

The fact that you spun the blade & it started running is a good sign. If this was the first time you used it this year, maybe a little oil & you will be good to go. The capacitor could also be the problem. Inexpensive & easy to replace. Another possibility is the fan motor is on it's last leg.

Your unit is a 2 ton. Don't know about age or SEER.

Old 06-16-07, 09:06 PM
Awesome. Any good sites to view breakdowns of the parts, how-to, etc? I'm new to the wonders of HVAC but I love DIY and saving money. I was quoted minimum $1000 to come and repair it today (Saturday 5pm). Ouch!

BTW, know what SEER is, but what is the ton rating? Lastly any way to make my system produce stronger airflow (I'm going to guess more tonage)?

Old 06-16-07, 09:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
$1000 Minimum????

I've never heard of such a thing. Probably someone who doesn't want to be bothered with new customers after regular hours.

Removal of the fan motor is pretty straight forward. Just take it with you if that's the route you decide to go. Get a motor with the same speed, HP, & direction of rotation. Also always replace the capacitor when you replace a motor.

Personally, I would look for oil ports on the motor & if there are any, give each one a few drops of oil. If you go to a plumbing supply house, hardware store, & some home centers, they have about a 4 oz. bottle of oil with a pull out spout. This flexible tube makes oiling a motor MUCH easier.

I told you it is 2 ton. To get more airflow you would need to increase the fan speed on the indoor blower if you can. I do not advise it being done without having the tools & knowledge to check things out.

Old 06-17-07, 07:16 AM
Thank you for all the help. My guess is it is the capacitator. The fan runs fine but can't start on it's own.

I did see you said my unit was a 2 ton, I just have no idea what that means.

Old 06-17-07, 07:37 AM
C
Tonnage

Read this for explaination of a/c tons:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_conditioning

As for your units, post complete model and serial numbers. With that info I can tell you when they were made and perhaps post manuals.

Old 06-17-07, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the link, this Wikipedia helped as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_conditioning_ton#Servicing_Information

Carrier Model #: 38CKB024310
Serial #: 1196E11764

Old 06-17-07, 11:25 AM
SUCCESS!!!
Bought a new capacitor. Old one was bubbled on top.

CiiTech, if you can get me a copy of the manual that would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Grady; 06-17-07 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Deleted e-mail address
Old 06-17-07, 11:57 AM
C
Check your email

Manual, wiring, and other data on the way.

I've found that by clicking the posters name you can send a private message (PM) rather than putting email in the public forum.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: