Bryant A/C outside Unit fails

Old 06-17-07, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bryant A/C outside Unit fails

The outside compressor/fan does not start when old Honeywell round thermstat calls for cooling. The inside furnace circulating blower starts (delay 5 sec) but outside unit fails to fire-up.

Voltmeter to white/red control wires going to outside unit registers 0.74 volts. The compressor and fan unit did start when relay on outside unit panel pressed.

Power is going to furnace circuit board control module from low voltage transformer and red LED is constant on.

Temp is 88 in Mich. Unit worked fine earlier this month, then just stopped one afternoon.

Help anyone....

Last edited by RedLeg; 06-17-07 at 08:45 AM. Reason: verb change
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-07, 12:30 PM
Thermostat

or low voltage wiring to outdoor unit.

With the stat calling for the outdoor unit red and white wires should read 24 volts. Well, as an industry standard we say 24 but depending on voltage at the transformer it can vary. But it should never be less than 18 or more than 30 volts.

Old 06-17-07, 07:28 PM
Check your "Y" wire to make sure you got power on that from the t-stat.

Make sure Y wire from furnace to outdoor unit has power.... Make sure the low voltage wire hasn't been chewed up by dog, or the weedeater.

Old 06-18-07, 10:14 AM
Talking Oooooops..and thanks

Thanks for the great comebacks and advice. I rechecked the voltage on low voltage wiring. Originally, I was reading the wrong wire. Thought it was coming from the outside, but it became part of a bundle and was reading from the de-humid.

Starting over, I carefully read the voltage at the control board (Red-white) and was ~25 v. Outside still 0.00 v. Carefully inspecting the wire just outside house, found chewed wire at ground level (chipmonks nearby) and corrosion finished the job.

The fix was just too easy... Thanks for the weedwacker comment. Made me relook for the obvious.......

92 in Mich today.....

Old 06-18-07, 11:15 AM
Glad to hear you got it fixed, and it was an easy one too.

Thanks for the update!