Blower Won't Stay On, Can't Set To "CONT"

Old 06-17-07, 08:54 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blower Won't Stay On, Can't Set To "CONT"

I have a York Diamond 80 Heater/AC and everything seems to be working except the blower won't stay on longer than about 15-30 seconds. Then I can hear it pumping water around (the AC is outside) for about 5 minutes or so followed by another 15-30 seconds of the blower. Also, the blower doesn't respond when I use the switch on the thermostat to change it to "Continuous". The blower acts as if it is in "Auto" mode regardless of the switch position.

How do I tell if it's the thermostat or something inside the unit? The entire unit looks pretty old.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 06-21-07, 07:39 PM
L
I took the thermostat apart, cleaned it, and found a loose yellow wire. I tightened the connection and put the thing back together but it is still doing the same thing. Everything seems to work correctly right up to the point of the blower coming on, but the blower only goes for 15-30 seconds then shuts off. It does this every ten minutes or so. It's about 101 degrees and we should be hitting a little higher than that next week, so any advice would be welcome.

Is it the capacitor? I found the capacitor attached to the blower unit. I just don't want to go out and buy a thermostat if it's the capacitor that is causing the thing to shut off after such a quick cycle.

Old 06-22-07, 05:54 AM
If the blower is starting up ok but shutting down intermitantly it could be several things. 1st to rule out the stat jump the green, yellow, and red wires together and see if it all works good. If the blower still does the same thing then you either have a bad circuit board, relay, or motor.

Old 06-26-07, 05:00 PM
L
Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to go check it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: