Bryant Evaporator Coil

Old 06-25-07, 07:37 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bryant Evaporator Coil

I have a Bryant A/C system that I've been told by more than one technician has a leak in the evaporator coil. The best price I've gotten for replacement is almost $1,000. Is it possible for me to replace the coil myself and then just pay to have someone recharge the system. I have extensive experience in both plumbing and electrical so I don't think I would have any problem with the R&R of the unit but my question is where to purchase one and are there any specific things I should know before attempting this.

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-25-07, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

If your not EPA you cant work on the unit with the R22 in it. get 3 bids for a new coil put in .

Old 06-26-07, 04:31 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Like Ed said unless you can confirm that the sealed system if completly empty you can't legally open it up. If you shop around you may find someone to do it for a coupled hundred less, but just make sure you don't hire Bubba to save yourself a little money.

Old 06-26-07, 05:08 AM
J
$1000 is a good price. Unless you have experience or are under the supervision of a technician, you should probably not try it yourself. Changing those coils is a bit harder than it looks.

Old 06-26-07, 08:26 PM
P
Bryant Evaporator Coil

Thanks everybody for your advice. Guess I'll just bite the bullet and pay someone to do it.

Old 04-21-11, 12:08 PM
G
Well...all those replies are politically correct...but not helpful.
Yes...it's a simple matter to evacuate the system, remove the evaporator and replace it with an identical (or nearly identical) coil, and recharge the system with refrigerant. Doh.

Old 04-21-11, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Really gahorn?
All you need is a thousand dollars (or more) in tools (granted..cheaper used), the expertise and possibly a license (depending on the refrigerant). Even then, many places will not sell to a non-licensed person.

Old 04-22-11, 12:33 PM
J
He left out a few steps.

I think he installed a few coils I recently looked at.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: