BTU too big is...how bad?

Old 07-03-07, 11:18 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
BTU too big is...how bad?

I have a converted garage that has that typical big wide garage space (about 250 sq feet) and then a smaller room in the back (about 150 sq feet) connected by a door.

I am putting an AC unit in the smaller room. I know I should put in about a 5000 BTU unit. But there is a 12000 BTU unit for almost the same price and I was wondering what the drawbacks were of having a stronger unit?

I was thinking I could leave the door between the two rooms open and some of the cool air could leak out into the main garage -- though I had read that having too high a BTU for too small a room causes the air to cool too quickly, not get dehumidified enough, then it gets kinda muggy.

I live in Los Angeles and it's not that humid here so I don't know if that will be a problem. Also, I don't plan on running this thing too much.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-03-07, 03:04 PM
Wink

When a AC is over size. The unit will pull down the temp for you and shut off. This lets the humidity still there in the home . So you dont feel cool as you should and the home can build up mold in it. When the unit is the right size .Then it has to run much more to lower the temp and it also get more of the humidity out of it. This will make you feel cool at a much higher temp and also get the humidity down so it stops any mold .

Old 07-03-07, 03:15 PM
H
Thank you for the response. But if I want to keep the door open to the larger room, taken with all you've said, would I be okay with the larger unit?

In other words, sure, the smaller unit is good for the smaller room for all the reasons you said...but since I will be bleeding into the larger room, perhaps the larger unit is better?

I'm just confused because I don't have much experience with A/C units and everything I read talks about square footage BTU requirements for big rooms. I've read nothing about use one AC to power one room and an adjoining room through a door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: