I got half an A-coil with a 5 ton condenser

Old 07-06-07, 09:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry I got half an A-coil with a 5 ton condenser

Hey guyz

I just cleaned my coil and realized it's half an A-coil...meaning there's only ONE coil laying on itself without another coil to form an "A" Now I am not sure what to rate a coil like mine but I assume it can't be more than 3 tons but it's cooling my whole house with 2800 sq ft on each floor of 2 floors. This single coil is connected to a recently replaced brand new 5 ton 10 SEER condenser. Now I got a question:

1) Since I got only one coil connected to a 5 ton condenser, would efficiency/cooling effect be any different if it were connected to a lets say 3 ton condenser? I did a run and my current system cooled my home about average time (from 80 to 73 degrees) of 4-4 and a half hours.

here r pics of my coil:

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/8833/1008641xd3.jpg

http://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1008643mf4.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-07, 10:32 AM
It could still be a 5 ton coil. If there is a tag on it anywhere post the numbers also the numbers off of the expansion valve feeding the coil.

Old 07-06-07, 10:45 AM
That's an Old Air Handler my friend looks like an Old Carrier.

Their is many older units from many different manufactures Carrier,Trane, GE ect.. with 1 slant coil.

The purpose with the 1 slant coil was to make it easy to clean and maintain.
The draw back was that it was larger because it still has to have the surface area as it's Brotha Mr A coil.
Now that the efficiencies have increased from those 8 SEER days to minimum of 13 SEER I think the Slant Coil is very hard to find.

Old 07-06-07, 11:27 AM
Lightbulb tags for another day!

ahh i just finished rinsing the coil clean and saw these replies...i'll post some info on the valve (which I did see) and any other numbers some other day it's hot up in my attic now! =)

Old 07-06-07, 11:33 AM
Wink zoomed in on valve

thanx to my cam's hi res shots i zoomed in on a pic with the valve without reopening up the unit:

the number for the valve is:

EA380C-380-C73

here is the max zoomed in pic of the valve:

http://img69.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zoomqt8.jpg

Old 07-06-07, 12:29 PM
Newer coils are bigger for the same tonnage. The 10 seer condenser with that coil is fine and apparently doing a good job. I would have no reason to question the tonnage unless you have some information to the contrary.

You did a good job cleaning the coil. I wouldn't change a thing unless you having problems.

Old 07-06-07, 04:32 PM
Wink

Id say dont even think about it we have many Ac coils out that are single , slop or just flat upright.

Old 07-06-07, 10:13 PM
Cool ok

yea it stomped me when I just saw one coil and didn't know if that was normal. Thanx yea I had to make sure I rinsed the coils good.

Is it a good idea to add an inline filter right before the A-Coil along with the regular filter that is about 5 feet away? Or would that cause too much air restriction?

Now I got another problem at hand....it looks like there's absolutely no mastic sealant on any of my ducts but there are blankets on them. I'm gona reuse the blankets after adding mastic to connecting ducts and metal duct corners/edges because I feel small bits of air escaping pretty much everywhere in the ducts in my attic. I'd say I'm losing about 1/2 ton in the attic alone which doesn't need to be cooled really, that's the attic fan's job.

Old 07-07-07, 05:10 AM
Systems should only have one filter. You are right, more than one would restrict air flow too much.

Mastic was not required until recent years. If you wish to add it, feel free to do so. Just don't over do it. Some poor technician may have to remove it one day. I see air handlers with sooooooo much mastic, it takes a while to find all the screws.

Old 07-09-07, 02:03 AM
Lightbulb label screws

Good point Jim

I think I'm gona label the screws somehow. If anything I'll leave the screws visible. It's upsetting that my attic is getting chilled too so I need to get right to it and mastic all the ducts up once I get my attic fan running first.

Old 07-09-07, 04:29 AM
I couldn't find anything with the expansion valve numbers but like said i'm sure you're fine also.

Old 07-18-07, 08:07 PM
model #

Well here's the model #:

2PGH005000

it's on the side of the evap coil:

http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=modelbi0.jpg

I need to know bc I recently hired some1 to replace the condenser unit outside with a 5 ton 10 SEER PAYNE brand....so the condenser wasn't replaced with another carrier condenser. not sure if PAYNE is a well known brand.

Old 07-18-07, 08:36 PM
noise from the evap coil connections

well just to note,

there is like a strange noise when the condenser is on. The side of my evap coil (in the attic) has a sound like if it has air bubbles or a pacifier sucking kinda noise. I guess it's because the freon is circulating?