Thermostat wiring to carrier A/C unit

Old 07-06-07, 09:31 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

The thermostat wiring for my Carrier A/C unit was separated by landscapers. I turned the power off, opened the control box where the connections were and tried to match up the wires. Red to Red, White to White, then there was a Brown and a Blue wire. My question is do the brown and blue wires go together or are they to be connected with the Red or White wires? I don't want to try anything until I am comfortable that I won't fry something. Thanks for any help!

Old 07-06-07, 09:59 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Are you saying you don't have the same numbers of same colors on both sides of the break?

Old 07-06-07, 10:14 AM
P

That is correct. Inside the control box of the unit, there is a blue and a brown wire but coming from the thermostat, there is only a Red and white wire. This unit has been working smooth for the past 4 years with no problems until yesterday when the wires were pulled. ??

Old 07-06-07, 10:27 AM
Is this unit straight cooling or is it a heat pump ??

I think I would make the landscape company pay for a pro to look at it. There could be more to it than seperated wires.

Old 07-06-07, 10:29 AM
P
I presume there is a break in the 2-wire (Red & White ?) cable between the house and the control-connection box in the out-door compressor section of the cooling system.

Look for a schematic on the inside of the panel you removed for acess to the connections.Are the Brown & Blue wires "factory-connected" leads that are part of the internal wiring that was installed at the factory ?

Old 07-06-07, 10:39 AM
M
Oh, I thought it was a broken cable, but it broke the cable out of a connection box instead? In that case, I don't even know if I'd be assuming white-to-white and red-to-red!

Old 07-06-07, 10:52 AM
C
You have 2 wires coming from your air handler going to the outside condensing unit
the red and white correct?
if so you have a straight A/C

The outside unit has blue and the brown wires, Correct?
They should go to the contactor control voltage terminals on each side of the contactor.
check to see if this is the case.
If this is the case Take the red and connect it to the blue and the white to the brown.
Brown and white is normally designated for common.
What ever you do do not put red and white together or you will blow your transformer in your air handler.

Old 06-03-12, 09:56 PM
B
Just wandering if peterb was able to fix this because I have the same exact issue. My six month old dog rip this cables out and my home warranty does not cover to fix it. Can someone help? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: