Compressor replacement on Trane

Old 07-07-07, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Compressor replacement on Trane

I have a 1999 3 ton trane, seer 12 condensor, which has not been cooling efficiently (seems like semi cold air). A technician came out 9 months ago due to same problem and said a freon leak. Got that fixed, new (different) technician came out this time and said the compressor is only working at 80% capacity, and there is no freon leak. He indicated this was an unusual problem on this type of equipment.

He checked air handler and coil and said everything else looked good. He said my options were to replace the entire condensor or just the compressor, but the compressor could not be fixed (i think because it's a sealed unit or due to Trane). Replacing the compressor quote is 2k. Does this repair sound reasonable? How bout price?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-07, 06:45 PM
Get another quote and diagnosis. That sounds too high for just a compressor even if it is a Trane.

Old 07-07-07, 06:46 PM
A compressor that loses its capacity is rare and many techs think it is a freon problem.. The pressures of the freon many times reads a little higher on the suction side.
The cooling differential of your supply air coming out of your inside unit and the return air going in to the unit is like 10-14 degrees instead of 16-18 degrees.

If this is the case,
the compressor has lost it's capacity.
Next, if the compressor is out of warranty it is best to replace the whole outside unit, it is not worth replacing your compressor because it is too costly to replace and then you got all that cost in a unit that will be falling apart in a few years do to age.

you could always get a 2nd opinion from another a/c company. Or you can ask around for quotes on a new outside condensing unit.

Old 07-08-07, 10:20 AM
I definitely agree that condensing unit replacement is preferable to just replacing the compressor. We only do compressor replacement on newer units, say less than 5 or 6 years. Even then, I'm a little hesitant. On the other hand, home warranty companies put new compressors in 20 year old condensers. But that's a different story in itself.

I also agree that diagnosing a worn compressor can get a little tricky. Especially if the valves are just starting to wear. This is where superheat and subcooling measurements become really important.