Want to add heat to ac unit

Old 07-12-07, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Want to add heat to ac unit

I have a Carrier 50SS, its a all in one unit. but only ac right now. I was told that I can just put a insert in it and it will also do heat. The local Carrier guy here said it is true BUT hes blowing me off, tells me everyday, Ill get you a price, yea yea yea... I have searched Ebay/internet looking for this part. Is there any dealers here or would anyone recommend one? Thank You !

PS: I just found this site the other day, I cant believe that there is so much info here. Great Site !

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-07, 03:31 PM
If that's just a package unit you can add a heat package to it. The problem may arise though in if you have enough electric to handle the additional load.

Old 07-12-07, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up Welcome GlennL,

It is likely that there is a heating unit that will fit that cabinet but it would be for a different model.

Mattison is right in that even if you were able to physically fit it in it would require some extensive rewiring.
The a/c only model would not have sufficient wiring to power the heater so you would need to modify the controls and power the heater from a new cct.

It would be far simpler to install a duct mounted heater with a proper sail switch and it's own power supply.

Old 07-12-07, 04:05 PM
Thanks for such a quick response! I didnt tell you all of the storie, so here it goes. I just added a addition to our house, the 50SS was given to me for free so I am hooking it up to cool the whole house. Rest of the house just has window units,but has central heat.(not big enough to heat whole house now. We just had our service upgraded to 200 amps and the 50SS will be installed in a couple weeks. So the electric isnt a problem, wiring is almost done so I can have the bigger wire ran to unit. I plan on running the right ducts for addition(1000 sq.ft.) and then run a 19" vent back to existing system to feed rest of home. This was a 1300 sq. ft mobile home. Now it will be 2300sq.ft.... Thanks !

Old 07-13-07, 07:12 AM
Im still surfing for a honest dealer. Im open to offers or sugestions on finding this heat package. Thanks in advance !

Old 07-17-07, 05:15 PM
Ok Guys, I have done some more home work, I have found the heat package for my unit BUT How do I know the "KW" to get ? I take it that this is the size of heater??? My unit will take a 001A00 upto 012A00, I have found that a 2A is 7kw and a 12A is a 17 kw... what does this mean ? Its for a 2340 sq ft. house .....Thank you !

Old 07-17-07, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
The size of heater will depend on the heat loss for your home.
We do not know much about your house or where you live.

There are online calculators like HVAC-Calc that are not that expensive for a single use residential calc.

For either heater plan on running a separate circuit to power up the heater and either a pneumatic or sail switch as a safety.

Old 07-17-07, 10:38 PM
Wink

On that electric heater 1 KW== 3415 Btu. So that 17K is a big heater. Ill bet it could need 3 supplys to it. Like said you have to find the heat loss of the home. Then get the heater.

Old 07-18-07, 08:57 AM
ok..... more homework done. I now found out that I need a 20kw for this unit and I was also told that I could go bigger and they would cut a coil if I didnt have the power up there. Does anyone know where I can find a " CPHEATER-012A00 " ? Thanks again for all your replies!