air conditioning not cooling enough

Old 07-31-07, 05:11 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
air conditioning not cooling enough

Hi,

We have and older furnace with a new air conditioner. In the winter the heat works fine. In the summer the house does not stay cool enough. The outside temp is 88 degrees, the air coming out of the vent is 58 degrees, but the house is 81 degrees right now. I have been told that the older furnace has a blower motor that turns at too slow of an rpm to cool the house. Can anyone tell me if this is true, and if it is can I replace the motor with a faster one or will this ruin the heating in the winter. We also have a small booster fan somewhere in the duct work(it was there when we moved in) but it doesn't seem to help.

Old 07-31-07, 06:06 PM
Is your old furnace a belt drive blower ?

Has it always had a/c ?

When's the last time it was serviced and cleaned good ?

If your duct work was sized originally for heating only then you may never get satisfactory cooling out of it.

Old 07-31-07, 07:14 PM
D
The blower is a belt drive. The belt has been replaced. It had A/c when we moved in, but we have since replaced the A/c unit with a new one of the same size. The house was built in 64, and I'm not sure if this is the original furnace or not.

Old 07-31-07, 09:53 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

On most belt drive blower the motor pulley is a variable one. If you screw the one side in on the pulley the blower will run faster. Have to reset the belt some. might try that

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: