condensantion line clogged

Old 08-03-07, 04:09 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
condensantion line clogged

After seeing water running down the wall I went to the attic and saw that the emergency pan was full of water. When the ac unit went off, water started coming off the vapor line? next to the condensation line. I emptied over 10 gallons of water from the pan. We had an estimate that was way too expensive, to clear the line and clean the coil was $1600. So I thought I would clear the line myself over the weekend. I just got a call from home saying that the ac unit does not work at all. could the problem be something else? Or would a little rusty and dirty coil be the reason for the ac turning off? I thank you for your advice in advance.

Old 08-03-07, 04:41 PM
$1,600 to clean the coil and drain!? wow! That's pretty high!

Do you have frost on the coil when you were up there?

You may have a float switch on the pan (Should have one), and when the pan gets full, it shuts down the system to prevent the water overflowing and causing damage.

Where is the drain draining to? Outside? Take a shop vac and suck it out from the outside. Also, if you have a T near the air handler with a cap, blow from that point, and also remove the service door, and look at the coil and pan under the coil.

Old 08-03-07, 05:06 PM
Wink

That float switch can also be in a P trap at the unit. Dont the overflow pan have its own drain to the outside . It should drain to the over hang outside and come out over a window door or walk way. so you can see when it is overflowing. Im like Jay for $1600 Ill fly to the job and fix it if its just the drain and coil.
You have been keeping the filter clean all the time?????

Old 08-04-07, 01:46 PM
J
Both of you were right. The floating switch was on the pan and there was so much water that it turned the ac off. When I got home I emptied the pan and turned it back on. Today I cut the pvc pipe before and after the trap thinking that the trap was clogged. It wasn't the trap. I connected a hose and took my leaf blower and tried that because I don't have a water vac. That did not work. i followed the pipe and it was connected with a rubber tube to a tiny lead? pipe. That pipe then went to the big black pvc pipe that goes through the roof. That's the vent right? So now I need to learn how to connect the pvc pipe out of the trap to the gutter. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you Ed and Jay.

Old 08-04-07, 05:04 PM
Wink

Code here wont let you tie the drain to a vent stack like you have there. You could get methane gas in the home. run the pvc drain pipe from the P trap outside and down the house wall with a L on the bottom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: