Newer Carrier Heat Pump not working

Old 08-09-07, 04:00 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Newer Carrier Heat Pump not working

I'm going toput a call into the repair place as soon as they open but wondered if anyone had any idea what I am facing.

We had a brand new complete set up of a Carrier heat pump put in like 4.5 years ago. I forget the size of the unit but it is like 2 room too big for our house incase we add on.

It is typically in the 80's here in the summer and the last two days 93.Well yesterday it just quit working. the fan in the air handler unit in the attic is working and the thermostat seems to be trying to cut the unti on but nothing from theunit outside.

Any ideas why such a new unit would malfunction like this? If I'm wrong and it has been over 5 years I don't think it will be covered on warranty..how much do AC repairs run?

Is thisall the life heat pumps get? I just assumed they were a long term appliance.

TIA

Old 08-09-07, 06:15 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat pumps/air conditioners are appliances that require yearly (if not more) maintenance. A good analogy would be a car. Would you go for 5 years with no maintenance on your car? I hope not. At a minimum, coils should be cleaned, electrical components checked, and the freon charge checked on a regular basis. Oftentimes, problems can be identified early. Running a system until it fails frequently results in more damage being done. Usually, it's the compressor that's at risk when another component fails. This week is "be kind to compressor week". Give it the respect it deserves.

In your case, I don't have enough information to say exactly what your problem is. But I would check breakers and service disconnect. If you are comfortable around high voltage, I would then check the contactor, capacitor(s) and associated wiring.

You may have a parts warranty on your equipment, but I cannot say for sure. Get a good technician or the people who installed it if you are comfortable with them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: