window a/c with heating option won't heat

Old 08-12-07, 09:33 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
window a/c with heating option won't heat

Hello,
I've got a Hampton Bay window AC (part # hbj175h) that has stopped heating all together (for the most part). When you first set the setting to heat, you get a glimmer of heat generated through the heating element but then it always stops from there and just blows air.

I'm suspicious of the heating element itself being the culprit and figured if I could find a replacement then that would be good....but as these things go, it might be some peripheral component causing the problem and I was'nt sure what else it could be.

The A/C cools great and I don't want to discard it just because it is'nt heating. I'd appreciate any suggestions for possible solutions for the heating problem, as well as the heating element assembly part # if anyone has eyes to it. Thanks.

Old 08-12-07, 10:42 AM
Can be a numbers of things...

-Limit switch
-Relay
-Control board
-Sensor

How old is the unit?

Old 08-12-07, 12:01 PM
V
exact age of unit is unknown. It's a Home depot a/c and where it is installed (detached garage) was built 10 years ago, so I think it is probably at least 8 years old.

Old 08-12-07, 06:21 PM
I guess I never see the need of a/c with a heater??

How is the coil and blower? Are they clean?

do you have a meter to take some readings?

Old 08-13-07, 11:01 AM
V
The coil and blower are OK. That "spring" element just isn't heating up. I posted a few pics of the situation. One pic is of the element before it was uninstalled and the other pic is of the element after Ii took it out:

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/2151/pictur4vv6.jpg
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/453/pictur3ts0.jpg

When you look at this thing, there isn't much to it. It hooks up with 2 wires (one tan, one red) and from there it is pretty much just a spring wound through some insulators. It does have one "black part" in the spring line, and I'm very suspicious of that-(what ever it is)-because it's pretty much the only specialized part in the whole thing.

I do have a meter, but I'm not much good with it and I'm not sure if it's what I should have to do any test...you tell me-see pic-

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/7770/im000832kv4.jpg

Old 08-13-07, 11:49 AM
1st I would check for continuity through the element with the wires off of it. If you've got continuity I would re-install it and carefully check for voltage at the element with it calling for heat. If you don't lose voltage and it stops heating then it's going off via "the black thing" overload. It would trip the overload from insufficient airflow across the element or a bad overload.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: