Wires burning off at Compressor

Old 08-16-07, 12:39 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wires burning off at Compressor

A RUUD 1-1/2 ton Heat Pump in a 1200 Ft Sqr home ..

Keeps burning the wires off at the Compressor. I have restripped and replaced the Push-On connector on all three wires at least once. Some three times. It seems to run OK while connected, Next door is same size house with same unit, No problems ??

It will run for a day or up to a week then Pop ! After this it takes at least 6-8 hours to cool the house back down. The connection is a Push on type on the wire, And on the motor is a round Stud with a flat for the connector to push on. This connection is always Corroded and rusty looking. So Today I took a dremel and a wire brush and shined the connections. Re done the line wire for the 3rd time and she's running for now..Thinking about just soldering the wires on !!

The Air coming from the vents inside is not much cooler than the Ambient, and takes forever to cool down each time it does this..

Any Opinions Welcomed at this point !!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-07, 02:13 PM
R
I would first ohm out the compressor, If it is bad then depending on age of the unit either new compress or ne unit.

Then make sure the wires are the right gauge.

It could also be a charge problem.

Many different things, I would bring in a pro at this time.

Old 08-16-07, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 32 Posts
The problem would have started with a loose connection that overheated.
There are a few things to consider relating to this problem.

You first need to use a connector that is made for this purpose.
You will find that a standard 1/4" push on connector is not exactly the right size.
You need to use one that is properly sized and heavy enough for the amperage of your compressor.
When you try to clean up the terminal it is possible that even if it looks shiny it could still offer some resistance and heat up.

The trade name of the most common terminal assemblies used in refrigeration is Fusite.

http://www.fusite.com/jsp/overview_news.jsp

You need to know that the terminal you are cleaning up is encased in a glass fitting.
Cleaning these terminals when burnt is sometimes a risky thing to do .
When they overheat and you then apply stress to the terminal by wire brushing or grinding you could damage the intergrity of the Fusite assembly.

Behind the Fusite connector is refrigeration oil under about 125 psi of pressure when the compressor first starts.
If the connector fails while powered you would have a spark followed by a sudden release of oil under pressure!

These terminals are tough and failures are rare but due to a mistake I made in my apprentice days I had one fail while the protective cover on the compressor was removed.
It is very fortunate that I was standing off to the side but had I been in front of it I would have been seriously burnt considering the flame was fed with a half gallon of pressurized oil.

So, my advice?
Call a knowledgeable licensed tech and let him/her take the responsibility of making sure this gets fixed properly.

It would not be unreasonable to replace the compressor for this type of problem.

Old 08-16-07, 04:37 PM
M
I think Greg is correct in that it started with a failed connection. And then I unknowingly used an incorrect terminal and added to the problem.

Now the Compressor's terminals are damaged and are of smaller surface area than when they started. So there ampacity is certainly less..

I think I will limp it along until I can get it repaired by a Pro. As right now the Funds say WAIT ! If ya know what I mean...

Old 08-16-07, 04:41 PM
M
P.S.
Will a low Charge cause an increased load on the compressor ??

Old 08-16-07, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 32 Posts
A low charge will cause there to be less load on the compressor but the compressor run hot because of warmer return gas.

Old 08-16-07, 05:07 PM
M
Thanks Greg !!!!

That Makes Sense !

Old 08-18-07, 06:29 PM
D
Originally Posted by milmat1 View Post
I think Greg is correct in that it started with a failed connection. And then I unknowingly used an incorrect terminal and added to the problem.

Now the Compressor's terminals are damaged and are of smaller surface area than when they started. So there ampacity is certainly less..

I think I will limp it along until I can get it repaired by a Pro. As right now the Funds say WAIT ! If ya know what I mean...
All is not lost. If the terminals are compromised there is a repair kit called Term-Lok that you can attach to the terminals. Do an online search