A new fan motor??

Old 08-17-07, 09:20 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A new fan motor??

Please give me some help. I have a two-story house, and have 2 a/c units. The smaller one for the upstairs, stopped working yesterday. It is a 2 yr old Lennox 10HPB24-14P. I will admit upfront I know nothing about a/c units. The unit sounds like it comes on, but the exhaust fan does not, then after a couple minutes, it will make a hissing noise. Any ideas? I called on the warranty last night, but after 1 yr only the compressor is covered. If is ends up being just a fan motor, I would like to think I could do that on my own. I really appreciate any help!
Thanks

Old 08-17-07, 01:54 PM
J
Sounds like a bad condenser fan motor and/or capacitor. These parts may be under warranty if the unit is only 2 years old. You will likely have to pay for labor.

Old 08-18-07, 06:51 PM
D
Originally Posted by CR7rat View Post
Please give me some help. I have a two-story house, and have 2 a/c units. The smaller one for the upstairs, stopped working yesterday. It is a 2 yr old Lennox 10HPB24-14P. I will admit upfront I know nothing about a/c units. The unit sounds like it comes on, but the exhaust fan does not, then after a couple minutes, it will make a hissing noise. Any ideas? I called on the warranty last night, but after 1 yr only the compressor is covered. If is ends up being just a fan motor, I would like to think I could do that on my own. I really appreciate any help!
Thanks
Find something you can reach thru the grille with to spin the fan blade. Turn the unit on and spin the blade. The proper direction is so that the CONCAVE side of the blade picks up the airflow. If the motor starts and runs, try replacing the capacitor, it's a very common failure. Make a sketch of which wire goes where before you take them off. Be sure the power is off and you discharge the capacitor by placing an old screwdriver across the terminals.

Last edited by daddyjohn; 08-18-07 at 06:52 PM. Reason: add text

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: