AC drain outside

Old 08-23-07, 06:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC drain outside

Recently I have noticed that the outside drain is always running, even if the AC unit is not running. This has not always been the case and I was wondering if this is a sign of the unit having problems. We have been in the house for 6 years and the unit is approx. 9-10 years.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-07, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the Air Handler up in the Attic?

Is there more than one drain outside?

Is the water from a drain where you never had water before?

If the water is from the drain where you had water before, but only when it ran. I'd say you maybe have a coil that is freezing up on you, and when it's off, the frozen coil is thawing out, and freeze up again on the next cycle.

If you go up and see that the coil is freezing up, I'd call for service.. Maybe low on charge, unless you have not changed the air filter for some time.

Old 08-26-07, 02:41 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Could also be the condesate drain line is so plugged that once the A/C shuts off, it takes a while for all that water in the collection pan to finally drain through the restricted line. Mold/mildew build up can plug the drain line. Check to make sure the line is free and if not, clean it. Bleach/hot water usually works unless the line is solidly plugged. Ignore a plugged line and it may start draining through your ceiling (not good).

Old 08-26-07, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
I wonder if the drain that empties outside is from a sump pit and water from another source is running into it.