Indoor Trane AC making buzzing sound

Old 08-26-07, 07:29 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Indoor Trane AC making buzzing sound

Hello,

I have a Trane Upflow / Horizontal Gas-Fired Furnace fan assisted combustion system (or so the user's guide says) that is 6 years old. It is Model #TUE100A936K. Anyway, I came home from vacation today and noticed the interior portion of the unit (not the part in the yard outside) was making a loud buzzing noise. When I turn the outside part of the AC (which works fine) off but leave the fan in the "on" position on the thermostat, the noise continues. The noise will stop when I turn the fan to the "auto" position on the thermostat, or flip the power switch on the unit itself. Turning the unit off an on a few times did not seem to help. I removed the upper and lower face plate on the unit and nothing appears damaged and there is no burnt smell. After replacing the cover and trying again it buzzed again. I tried again later and it worked! Is this the sign of a dying motor/blower/fan/switch/circuit board/transformer? Any suggestions or diagnostics than I can perform would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Flaquito

Old 08-27-07, 05:31 AM
J
Sounds like a possible bad blower relay. Sometimes they get noisy but still work.

Old 08-27-07, 07:45 PM
F
Is there a test I can do to confirm this?

Old 08-31-07, 09:09 PM
F
Anyone?

Old 08-31-07, 09:47 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Put your hand on it and see. Look out for electric there. Also check on the transformer in the unit . They like to make a buzz noise sometimes its just take up on a screw that holds it or let off on a screw a bit that holds it. Id go for the blower relay first

Old 09-01-07, 02:01 PM
F
Pulled the blower

Ok, I pulled the blower fan/motor assembly because I wasn't totally sure where the buzzing sound was coming from. With the blower out, i am certain that the blower motor is making the noise. I tested the capacitor and it appears to be healthy. The fan motor is turning very-very-very slowly. Maybe less than one revolution per minute. Is this for sure a dead motor?

If so, do I have to order a part directly from Trane? I can't find the part on the internet anywhere. The motor is a GE 1/3 HP, 1075 RPM, 5.8 Amp, 115 volt, 4 speed motor. The part number on the motor is 5kcp39hg S599S for a Trane XB80 Furnace. It's going to be a long, hot, weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Flaquito

Old 09-01-07, 02:15 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Dont know if you can buy from them. But they have them Grainger or Johnstone supply

Old 09-03-07, 02:34 PM
D
Originally Posted by flaquito
Ok, I pulled the blower fan/motor assembly because I wasn't totally sure where the buzzing sound was coming from. With the blower out, i am certain that the blower motor is making the noise. I tested the capacitor and it appears to be healthy. The fan motor is turning very-very-very slowly. Maybe less than one revolution per minute. Is this for sure a dead motor?

If so, do I have to order a part directly from Trane? I can't find the part on the internet anywhere. The motor is a GE 1/3 HP, 1075 RPM, 5.8 Amp, 115 volt, 4 speed motor. The part number on the motor is 5kcp39hg S599S for a Trane XB80 Furnace. It's going to be a long, hot, weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Flaquito
You can't buy the motor from Trane and you wouldn't want to anyway because their prices are outrageous. There are several hvac parts and electric motor vendors online who sell to homeowners, just do a search. Also, type "emerson rescue motors" into a search engine. They are multi use/multi horsepower/multispeed motors made for the replacement market. Take a look at #5460, it's 1/2hp, 120 volts, 4 speeds, and should work just fine in your application. Be sure to replace the capacitor as well. Several of the vendor websites have tutorials that will take you step by step thru the process of repalcing a motor.

Old 06-14-08, 02:55 PM
A
Originally Posted by flaquito
Hello,

I have a Trane Upflow / Horizontal Gas-Fired Furnace fan assisted combustion system (or so the user's guide says) that is 6 years old. It is Model #TUE100A936K. Anyway, I came home from vacation today and noticed the interior portion of the unit (not the part in the yard outside) was making a loud buzzing noise. When I turn the outside part of the AC (which works fine) off but leave the fan in the "on" position on the thermostat, the noise continues. The noise will stop when I turn the fan to the "auto" position on the thermostat, or flip the power switch on the unit itself. Turning the unit off an on a few times did not seem to help. I removed the upper and lower face plate on the unit and nothing appears damaged and there is no burnt smell. After replacing the cover and trying again it buzzed again. I tried again later and it worked! Is this the sign of a dying motor/blower/fan/switch/circuit board/transformer? Any suggestions or diagnostics than I can perform would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Flaquito
My unit is making a buzzing noise also and It wont kick on now. It was fine until this morning. Did you find out anything? Let me know if you did.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: