A/C has musty smell, and not cold.

Old 08-07-07, 02:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C has musty smell, and not cold.

I've been trying to fix my A/C. It was working fine last week, but since we're in the 100's, it won't blow out cold air. I got some coil cleaner from my brother, and even though it didn't really look that dirty, I went ahead and cleaned it. I noticed the drain was somewhat clogged, so I cleared it our and emptied the drain pan, which was full. I turned the air back on, and even though it is a little cooler, it's still not cold. After an hour, my house was only cooled by one degree. It also smells musty. It was smelling that way before too. I can't figure it out. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Old 08-07-07, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Is the drain ok now. Water runs out ok? With what we have outside you did good to pull the home down one degree. Feel the big copper line should be wet and cold the small line warm to hot at the condenser if so charge should be ok

Old 08-07-07, 05:20 PM
Big pipes are cold and wet, both inside and out. Small one inside is warm, outside, it's so hot it'll burn ya. There's no ice buildup inside or out on the coils. The drain is good so far. The filter is new. I've switched it from auto to fan, and it almost seems like it blows colder. It's still pretty hot though. Kids and heat definately don't mix well, lol. So, maybe just try to get it as cold as possible at night, and it may stay cooler during the day?

Old 08-07-07, 07:16 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You are better off to set the tstat and let it alone. That way it gets the humidity out of the home better. The fan speed for Fan on and when the fan is on with the AC should be same speed

Old 08-08-07, 12:13 PM
Thanks. I'll keep it on auto. I've used all of my comforters and hung them over my windows, and I blocked off the back part of my house. We have four fans blowing in the living room. And it's helped, even though it is 85 inside, it's not the 89/90 that I had yesterday. So I guess with the heat wave, I just have to stick it out huh?! Thanks for the help!

Old 08-27-07, 09:01 PM
Wink More "musty smells" and it ain't me..

My 8,000 BTU Sears window model A/C is 3 years old and is only used for about one week during the hottest part of the summer. This year we have run it more and I am now noticing a very strong "musty" smell when we first start it up. After a few hours of running the "musty" smell seems to dissipate... or we get used to it. Is it standing water inside the unit that causes this smell? Does something need to be cleaned? Thanks for your comments/thoughts on this matter... cheers, Tucats

Old 08-28-07, 05:11 AM
M
Smile quick clean for window unit?

I used to clean my window unit by unpluging it and giving it a good blast from a garden hose into the back of it. This would get rid of algae etc. Then I would put about a quarter cup of bleach in there and spray 409 or some mold killer into the front. I'd also open the front and wipe it out real well with soap and bleach.
To do the deluxe job, take it out of the window each spring remove the cover off and you can detail it much better. Don't be surprised if you see reptile skeletons and mummified amphibians in there--that's yer musty smell right there.

Old 08-28-07, 07:42 PM
Thanks; Today I tipped it a bit so that condensed water runs out better from the one (nickle size) hole on the bottom. I was going to drill a few more holes for water draining, but decided not to. I will place some diluted bleach into the water tray and see if that cleans it up. Actually the smell wasn't too bad today after the water ran out. Cheers...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: