Blower motor?

Old 08-28-07, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blower motor?

Hello. This is my first time on the forum and I looked for a situation like mine with no luck. I'm sure this isn't an original prob, just couldn't find it and need help.

My outside central AC/heat unit is a Lenox which has worked great since I came here but in the last week has developed a problem. It started where I could hear the condenser motor running fine but nothing was coming from the blower. I turned it off, let it sit a while then turned it back on. Ran fine for a few days then did the same thing again. I did the same off/wait/on and it did fine for a couple more days then after a cycle off, failed to kick in the blower..again..coil motor runs fine. The last time, I ran it on fan and even then, nothing. I replaced the blower motor and capacitor and it ran great for a day and has now quit again. I have MS and can't be without it as heat really makes my problem pretty scarey. Any suggestions? Need more info? I really can't afford a contractor so have to DIMyself.

Thanks,
Mick in Kansas

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-07, 10:09 PM
Wink

Not sure if you mean the condenser fan outside or the inside blower. Inside blower Did you get the same Hp, RPM??? wire it right??? Blower relay or board ok??? Did you check the old motor and would it run or not off the unit?????

Old 08-28-07, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the reply Ed. It's a big all in one unit outside with only ductwork going inside. The condenser motor runs fine, cycles, etc but the blower with the squirrel cage attached isn't running. I bought an identical motor new and new capacitor and wired them back in exactly as the old one came out. It all ran great for 26 hours or so, cycling as it should and cooling the place fine then, again, the condenser motor cycled on but nothing coming through the vents inside. Don't know if the old motor would run or not out of the unit but turned freely. I'm at a wee bit of a disadvantage in checking things out as I had to be out of my w/c and on the ground and couldn't do the back and forth thing in diagnosing plus, at 95 degrees outside..and well over that inside, I was getting worse by the minute. I took a chance and got a new motor/capacitor as that appeared to be the most likely to me. It worked fine for a day and some change. Now back to the same prob as before.

I did see how the board here works and have gathered a few tips on what may be going on. Any tips would be helpful as I need to check as much as I can while on the ground to lessen the number of times I have to get up and down from my chair.

Old 08-29-07, 09:50 AM
The next thing you will have to determine is if the motor is getting power to it at the times it won't come on. You will need a voltmeter to check this and also access to the wires for testing. You may need to get someone to help you with it.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-29-07 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed