condenser fan hums, condenser clicks, but no go

Old 08-31-07, 06:15 AM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry condenser fan hums, condenser clicks, but no go

Good day men

My unit is located on the roof of two story building. I have 220 all the way to the unit. the fan hums and cannot be kick started with a spin but does spin freely and does not feel hot. The compressor has a periodic timed click but will not kick in. The handler seems to work fine. This unit is three years old.
A valve cap is missing from one side of the coolant ports and 2 seperate repair men have worked on 2 seperate units on this condo complex roof in recent weeks.
I hate to be suspicious, but over the years I have experienced several failures in the 24volt to thermostat line shortly after repairs on this roof.

Any comments greatly appreciated

Old 08-31-07, 07:01 AM
Did you check to see if you got 220v at and after the disconnect box?

Contactor not dirty or has spider or what not on it?

Old 08-31-07, 07:34 AM
C
Smile condenser fan hums, condenser clicks, but no go

Thanks for quick reply

Power from breaker and from cartridge style fuses on roof check out. i pulled and tested the cartridges and power to the units terminals. They look clean.
I have allowed the system to cool in case of a heat overload but makes no difference(overnight+ the system has been out one week)
Thanks

Old 08-31-07, 07:54 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I have experienced several failures in the 24volt to thermostat line shortly after repairs on this roof.
If the contactor pulled in then thats ok.

The compressor has a periodic timed click but will not kick in. The handler seems to work fine.
That would be it on and off with the klixon. Have you checked the start run capacitor . That should be for the fan and the compressor?????
also get caps to put on the schrader valves there for sure

Old 08-31-07, 08:32 AM
C
condenser fan hums, condenser clicks, but no go

Hey Ed
I will check the capacitor. Kinda stormy here today so don't know i'll get on it( don't need to confront shock possibility from too many fronts.
I thought I saw 2 but will check again
thanks

Old 08-31-07, 08:40 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Most units just have one capacitor in them for a start run . Its a dual one for the fan and compressor. So check ,if so wires from the fan and compressor go to it

Old 08-31-07, 11:26 AM
D
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Most units just have one capacitor in them for a start run . Its a dual one for the fan and compressor. So check ,if so wires from the fan and compressor go to it

It sounds like you're getting power to the compressor motor. If the fan motor is cold but the compressor is hot [physically to the touch, not electrically] then most likely the fan motor is bad. If both are hot to the touch then most lilkely the capacitor is bad. If you determine that the motr is bad then repalce the motor capacitor also, eiher by piggybacking a new capacitor to the existing one or repalceing the dual capacitor. Some of the websites that sell parts have very good tutorials about capacitors.

Old 12-11-07, 12:37 PM
C
done deal

Dropped the ball on the a.c.. Went on holiday. Got back from holiday. Read over Q&A from my posts and a few others. Pulled the capacitor, found small bulge, replaced. Tested the 24 volt + contact points. turned power back on and away she went.

Thanks to you all

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: