Unit not cooling like it used to.

Old 09-27-07, 07:04 PM
Unit not cooling like it used to.

It a carrier 2.5 ton unit. Its uses R-410A(PURON). Half the problem is solved on it. The compressor was shutting of for hours at a time. It wouldnt cool the house above 90 degrees. When the tech cut out the compressor it was rattling pretty good. He installed a new dryer on it. He vacumed the lines to. He wieghed in the new freon.

The unit sounds real good and quite. You could tell a big difference in the sound when it was turned on. The other compressor was real loud compared to the new one.

Before he left he checked the supply and it was registering 46. The inside temp was 74. Later that evening it got up to 79 in the house. It didnt cool it off to 72 until 1AM.

Any suggestions? The pressure was 65 and 300 at 85-90. Im not asking what its suppose to be just wondering if thats right. Yes or no.

Would i feel any heat at night while its running at 72 in the house?

The unit is 2 years old thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-07, 08:18 PM
It a carrier 2.5 ton unit. Its uses R-410A(PURON). Half the problem is solved on it. The compressor was shutting of for hours at a time. It wouldnt cool the house above 90 degrees. When the tech cut out the compressor it was rattling pretty good. He installed a new dryer on it. He vacumed the lines to. He wieghed in the new freon.

The unit sounds real good and quite. You could tell a big difference in the sound when it was turned on. The other compressor was real loud compared to the new one.The pressure was 65 and 300 at 85-90. Im not asking what its suppose to be just wondering if thats right. Yes or no.
Did he replace the compressor? "The other compressor was real loud compared to the new one." Not sure what this means. As far as the pressures, both seem low but need more info. Another question, is your filter clean? The low pressure should be in the range of at least 115psi and usually higher upto maybe 145psi. Higher pressure on an 85 degree day usually runs in the neibhborhood of 325-350.psi

Does the invoice mention subcooling and superheat? Do you have a piston or TXV for a metering device? I think you should call the contractor back out so they can fix it right.

Old 09-27-07, 09:55 PM
Wink

Did he put all new freon in???? Is the big copper line cold and wet the small copper line warm to hot at the condenser unit.

Old 09-27-07, 09:59 PM
Yeah he put in a new one. The old one would shut off for hours. The old one evidently had something broke in it or something busted. All i know is it would rattle. It sounded like something metal. The new one was real quite compared to the old one.

TXV & Accurater piston. The unit uses 2 types of devices. The outdoor device is a fixed orifice and is contained in the brass hex body in the liquid line feeding the outdoor coils. The indoor is a TXV device.

The air filter is clean,indoor coil is and the condensor is to.

No mention of the subcooling or super heat?

All the info is appreciated that way i know what to tell him or to expect.

The units full warranty ran out in June. The first call was made in june and its being repaired under warranty, since they didnt find the problem then.

We cant mention on charging procedures, what the pressures should be and etc, because the rules. But i thank you for telling me cause now i know somethin else is wrong with it. My other post got locked done cause that. I forgot to read it. So mods please dont lock it just edit it.

I can say this. The old compressors suction pressure wouldnt go up when he added the puron. The discharge did.
The next day it did cool the house up to 3PM and it was 95 outside and it was 73 in the house.

Old 09-27-07, 10:11 PM
He put all new freon in it. He even hooked up a pump to vacuum the lines. It took a long time for him to recover the freon. Not him but the machine that had a fan and guages.

I dont know on the lines but i think it was hot enough to burn him when he was unhooking the guages. Before he left the vent was putting out 46 with a laser and it was 74 in the house and atleast 85 outside. Its when the temp gets above 90 it doesnt cool. The air feels luke cool.

One of those devices he took loose and held in his hand and it was on the old compressor and the suction started to go up. I believe the line was big.

Old 09-28-07, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by john125 View Post
He put all new freon in it. He even hooked up a pump to vacuum the lines. It took a long time for him to recover the freon. Not him but the machine that had a fan and guages.

I dont know on the lines but i think it was hot enough to burn him when he was unhooking the guages. Before he left the vent was putting out 46 with a laser and it was 74 in the house and atleast 85 outside. Its when the temp gets above 90 it doesnt cool. The air feels luke cool.

One of those devices he took loose and held in his hand and it was on the old compressor and the suction started to go up. I believe the line was big.
That is extremely low temperature for a supply vent. I am pretty sure it is inaccurate, as central air systems become highly inefficient if they put out air much cooler than 50 degrees.

Old 10-02-07, 01:03 AM
Okay the techs coming out wednesday. Im thinking one of those metering devices is bad. I forgot to add when he started it up the line was freezing from some valve which ever one it was. The line was little.

If one proves to be bad however he checks it shouldnt he go ahead and replace the other valve.

New compressor,dryer,possibly metering valve.

That just leaves one more valve, close to having new system.

Old 10-02-07, 04:23 AM
Originally Posted by john125 View Post
I can say this. The old compressors suction pressure wouldnt go up when he added the puron. The discharge did.
Sounds like a restriction to me.

Originally Posted by john125
I forgot to add when he started it up the line was freezing from some valve which ever one it was. The line was little.
Again. It sounds like a restriction or low refrigerant charge.

Old 10-05-07, 07:22 AM
Thanks guys for all of the info. He checked the expansion valve and the pressures didnt do a thing. Parts are on the way. Is there anything else could be bad since the compressor and TXV was bad?

Old 10-07-07, 04:02 PM
Pressure switch effects.

What exactly happens when the switch is tripped? Does the entire unit shut off or does the compressor itself, or the compressor and condensor fans shut of?

Are the TXV purely mechanical or are the electrical too? Thanks.

Old 10-26-07, 11:33 AM
Its been 3 weeks and no PARTS YET. How long is it suppose to take them? Anybody know when they deem a part unavailable? Also whats the longest anybody has had to wait to get a part?

Old 10-26-07, 12:10 PM
OK, I'm sratching my head here. You say you have a piston and a metering device. Is this a heat pump? If it's not, you have one or the other. If it is, you'll have a 4 way valve, check valve, and ANOTHER TXV. Condensing unit makers don't have an orifice on one side of a heat pump and a TXV on the other. It's usually orifice/orfice, TXV/TXV, or Cap tube/Cap tube. The cap tube and TXV might be mixed, but it's not that often.

Now, let's get into the meat of this thing. You say when he left, they system was running great. But the next day, it wasn't working as good. If it's a heat pump, your 4 way valve could be leaking, your check valve could be failing, your TXV could be cloged, or you might have a leak. It's not uncommon to have piping work done and to have a bad weld or a small leak from a shrader valve. My rule of thumb is that if I recover refrigerant, I change all the schrader valves and caps. Sometimes when you crack them, they just don't seat up anymore.

In one of your last posts, you say that a "switch" tripped. What switch? High pressure, low pressure? We need a little more info.

As far as a TXV, I can get one same day for any unit. If it's obsolite, a good tech would be able to retrofit a simple TXV. You might need to change out the header, but it's not that hard to do.

Old 10-27-07, 06:26 AM
Originally Posted by sloooo View Post
As far as a TXV, I can get one same day for any unit. If it's obsolite, a good tech would be able to retrofit a simple TXV. You might need to change out the header, but it's not that hard to do.
Exactly. Sounds like they may be putting you on hold.