Large capacity window unit forms ice

Old 09-29-07, 05:41 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Large capacity window unit forms ice

This is my second post about this problem, but I have a repair call scheduled and would like some input about the problem. Here's the deal:
We had a new window unit installed at our farm house on June 3. It is a 28k btu. Since we are only at the farm on weekends, we have only used it about five times the whole summer. Last weekend, we turned it on around noon. It was about 82 outside and had the indoor thermostat set to 72. At about 5pm, the coils behind the filter (on the front) were totally covered with ice. It was still blowing cold air, but significant ice had formed on the coils. This is at least the second time this has happened. It may have happened before, I just had never checked behind the filter for ice.
When I checked with a friend who works on AC's, he said the ONLY reason for that is the AC is dirty or is low on freon. Since this unit is brand new, it is certainly not dirty.
Any comments on the problem? Is it possible for this to happen because the house was too warm because we had not been there for about a week?
If it is low on freon, is this a problem that will occur again, after it is out of warranty? Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-07, 06:49 AM
In my experience, window units suffer from low air flow and short circuiting of the air flow. A unit that is turned on in a very warm and humid environment will ice. They run to long the water on the coil begins to freeze. This is not to say that the unit isn't low on gas. However, there are no service ports on most window units, so you have no way to check the charge short of cutting into the lines, evacuating, and soldering in a service port. I'd call the company and ask for a warranty service, usually they will just give you a new unit. If the problem persists, you will probably have to find some way of preventing the air from dropping directly into the return grill.

Old 09-29-07, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the info. I bought the unit from Sears and the service call scheduled for next week is under warranty. I just wanted some input before they come out and say something like, there is nothing we can do. My concern is that the unit has a problem and I will be stuck with it after the one-year parts and service expires next June. Actually, I am probably already stuck with it, right now.