A/C not blowing from vents

Old 10-01-07, 11:00 AM
A/C not blowing from vents

Hello everyone,

I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction as to what is wrong with my A/C

Last week the motor went out on my unit. I replaced the motor and the fan and everything worked fine. However I noticed that my house was not cooling like it should. It seemed that it was taking a lot longer than normal.

I noticed that in on only one of the vents (upstairs) it seemed to blow o.k. In some of the others it seem to blow very lightly and in some I got absolutely nothing at all out of the vents.

Well yesterday I am getting nothing at all out of most of the vents. If I do get anything it is very, very faint but the air does not seem to be as cool as it should.

I replaced the filters that that collect the dust particles in the house I use the 16x25x1 and there seems to be plenty of blowing because if I try to remove them I can tell I actuall have to pull because there is a vacuum effect.

Can anyone shed any ideas on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-07, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by PhillyGreen View Post
Hello everyone,

I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction as to what is wrong with my A/C

Last week the motor went out on my unit. I replaced the motor and the fan and everything worked fine. However I noticed that my house was not cooling like it should. It seemed that it was taking a lot longer than normal.

I noticed that in on only one of the vents (upstairs) it seemed to blow o.k. In some of the others it seem to blow very lightly and in some I got absolutely nothing at all out of the vents.

Well yesterday I am getting nothing at all out of most of the vents. If I do get anything it is very, very faint but the air does not seem to be as cool as it should.

I replaced the filters that that collect the dust particles in the house I use the 16x25x1 and there seems to be plenty of blowing because if I try to remove them I can tell I actuall have to pull because there is a vacuum effect.

Can anyone shed any ideas on this?
Well if the new motor is the same as the one that failed [be sure to check the rpm's] then a stong possibility is the cooling coil may be freezing over. This could be caused by a dirty cooling coil or a shortage of refrigerant [as in leaking out somewhere]. When you notice the lack of airflow, is there ice on the refrigerant tubing? Also, have any duct connections come loose at one of the vents?

Old 10-01-07, 12:11 PM
Wink

Like said on the motor speed. You sure that you did wire it in the right way for high speed on the AC??? Slower in the heat??? Also Check the big copper line should be cold and wet the small copper line warm to hot . At the outdoor unit.

Old 10-01-07, 02:05 PM
I had someone by and looked at the unit and found that I had absolutely zero freon in the unit. He recharged it but that leads to other questions. I was talking to my boss about it and he told me that if it was out of freon then there is a leak somewhere because there is no way I should be losing any freon. Is that true?

Also when I bought the motor and fan the guy at the AC supply play told me that I had to reverse the way to motor was spinning for the particular blades he gave me. I compared them to the other fan and motor I had and the blades were definately different. I will attempt to explain it.

If I hold the blade straight out it is tilted to the right. The on on the other motor that I replaced was tilted to the left. I hope that makes sense. I tried to find a diagram to show which way the fan is supposed to spin.

Ed to answer your question I did double check the wiring to make sure it was correct. I replaced it with the exact same motor and I took a digital picture of the connections before I disconnected the broken motor and fan.

daddyjohn I did not notice any ice on the tubing but I think that is because there was no freon. I did not think to check the RPM's because it is the same motor but I will when I get home this evening.

Before he showed up it was 91 degrees in the house. He told me it will take about 3-4 hours before it gets to where I need it because the house was so hot. However inthe 1st hour there was a 5 degree drop to 86. All the vent upstairs were close because I was not sure what caused the low air flow. I just had them all reopened 3 bedrooms and 2 baths and that should help because I have vaulted ceilings and all the ceiling fans are going.

Old 10-01-07, 02:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The presumption (by others here?) would be that you replaced your blower motor. But after reading all your posts and your reference to a/c only, it almost sounds to me like you replaced your outside unit motor and FAN. Normally the blower inside the furnace or air handler is referred to as a blower and has a squirrel cage and would not have blades that lean left or right. And why would you have replaced an inside blower squirrel cage? You didn't say anything about them curving. Leaning?

So what motor and fan are we talking here?

You see, some people think that the a/c unit is JUST outside. And that it is just the furnace that is inside. Not knowing that a/c coil is above the furnace and needs (furnace) blower to blow air through it.

Old 10-01-07, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
The presumption (by others here?) would be that you replaced your blower motor. But after reading all your posts and your reference to a/c only, it almost sounds to me like you replaced your outside unit motor and FAN. Normally the blower inside the furnace or air handler is referred to as a blower and has a squirrel cage and would not have blades that lean left or right. And why would you have replaced an inside blower squirrel cage? You didn't say anything about them curving. Leaning?

So what motor and fan are we talking here?

You see, some people think that the a/c unit is JUST outside. And that it is just the furnace that is inside. Not knowing that a/c coil is above the furnace and needs (furnace) blower to blow air through it.
I apologize for not being more clear.

I was talking about the motor and fan on the outside unit. That is what I mean by the blade was leaning or bent may be the more appropriate word. As none of the blades on the fan of the outside unit will lay perfectly flat at least not on my unit.

I finally got home and while the house is a little cooler it is still too warm. It is at 84 and the unit has been running for at least 7 hours now. The person that came and charged the freon said it would be about 4 but the air is only blowing cool and not cold.

I am going to check the unit that is in the attic that would have the blower and see if there are any issues there.

Old 10-01-07, 07:59 PM
Something I forgot to mention earlier when I posted.

Last night when I was checking the attic to see if the blower was working I notice there was zero condensation. My unit is set to drain directly into the plumbing. The tubing was very dry.

This evening when I went up there I noticed plenty of condensation. I notice that my house has not cooled off much though and I am set at 83.

Old 10-01-07, 09:18 PM
Wink

Im back to what are the copper lines doing at the outdoor unit. The big one cold and wet the small one warm to hot????

Old 10-02-07, 05:15 AM
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
Im back to what are the copper lines doing at the outdoor unit. The big one cold and wet the small one warm to hot????

I just went out and checked. The big one is cold and wet and the small one was hot.

Old 10-02-07, 05:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is the temperature differential between the air going into the handler (or furnace) and the cool air coming out? Is it nearly 20 degrees? Or is it far less than that?

Keep in mind that the cooler your house gets, the cooler the a/c will blow, by this same temperature differential. And conversely the opposite if the house is hot inside.

Old 10-02-07, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
What is the temperature differential between the air going into the handler (or furnace) and the cool air coming out? Is it nearly 20 degrees? Or is it far less than that?

Keep in mind that the cooler your house gets, the cooler the a/c will blow, by this same temperature differential. And conversely the opposite if the house is hot inside.
I am not sure how to answer the question so please excuse my ignorance on this.

If I was to take a stab at this I would say it is far less. My house has not cooled past 82 degrees since yesterday with the exception of overnight. I think the cool air outside had something to do with that because when I got up this morning it was 79 degrees in my house but as it got hotter outside it got hotter inside and never cooled off.

Something else I noticed that is not making any sense. The tubing that routes the condensentation into the drain has cool air blowing out of it. Quite cool to be honest and it has actually cooled my attic off. Normally I go up there it is like an inferno because that is where all the insulation is. However today when I went up there it was not hot in there at all.

I called the friend of mine that charged my unit yesterday and he said that there may be a clog there and that is blocking the air from blowing.

If I left anything out that any of you feel pertinent please let me know because I feel if I am asking you to assist me and you kind enough to do so the least I could do is give you all the information you need and of course say thank you

Old 10-03-07, 01:34 PM
I am not sure how to answer the question so please excuse my ignorance on this.

If I was to take a stab at this I would say it is far less. My house has not cooled past 82 degrees since yesterday with the exception of overnight. I think the cool air outside had something to do with that because when I got up this morning it was 79 degrees in my house but as it got hotter outside it got hotter inside and never cooled off.

Something else I noticed that is not making any sense. The tubing that routes the condensentation into the drain has cool air blowing out of it. Quite cool to be honest and it has actually cooled my attic off. Normally I go up there it is like an inferno because that is where all the insulation is. However today when I went up there it was not hot in there at all.

I called the friend of mine that charged my unit yesterday and he said that there may be a clog there and that is blocking the air from blowing.

If I left anything out that any of you feel pertinent please let me know because I feel if I am asking you to assist me and you kind enough to do so the least I could do is give you all the information you need and of course say thank you
sounds like you may have found the problem. most horizantal units have 2 rain openings, one higher than the other. the lower one is the standard drain and the higher opening is usualy an overflow. The lower one should have a P trap somewhere in the piping [it's usually at the unit] so, which one is blowing air?

Old 10-03-07, 02:28 PM
I just found out that I have a leak in my condensor. Someone came out and put 15lbs of freon in the unit on Monday. Yesterday it was completely empty again. I noticed it late last night. When I turned the power off I could hear hissing like air was escaping from the outside coils of the Condensor.

Old 10-03-07, 04:03 PM
I just found out that I have a leak in my condensor. Someone came out and put 15lbs of freon in the unit on Monday. Yesterday it was completely empty again. I noticed it late last night. When I turned the power off I could hear hissing like air was escaping from the outside coils of the Condensor.

ouch I imagine it's an older system? You will probably have to replace the utdoor section and the indoor coil. Today's units have to have matching components because of gov't mandated energy issues.

Old 10-04-07, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by daddyjohn View Post
ouch I imagine it's an older system? You will probably have to replace the utdoor section and the indoor coil. Today's units have to have matching components because of gov't mandated energy issues.
The unit is 10 years old. My wife had the house built before we met in 97. She did not get the upgrade and had the basic builder unit installed. My friend and I was talking about it when he found the leak and he mentioned the new unit will will be all copper. The one we have is alumunum. A friend of mine is doing the work. He ordered the Condenser Unit yesterday. It will not be here until Friday. I have a Seer 10 unit now and we are replacing it with a Seer 13

I have a 5 ton unit so it is going to be expensive of course. Thankfully I will not have to pay for any labor and I he got the unit at a decent price ($1090) or at least from my understanding that is a decent price for a 5 ton

Last edited by PhillyGreen; 10-04-07 at 08:13 AM. Reason: needed more information
Old 10-04-07, 11:40 AM
The unit is 10 years old. My wife had the house built before we met in 97. She did not get the upgrade and had the basic builder unit installed. My friend and I was talking about it when he found the leak and he mentioned the new unit will will be all copper. The one we have is alumunum. A friend of mine is doing the work. He ordered the Condenser Unit yesterday. It will not be here until Friday. I have a Seer 10 unit now and we are replacing it with a Seer 13

I have a 5 ton unit so it is going to be expensive of course. Thankfully I will not have to pay for any labor and I he got the unit at a decent price ($1090) or at least from my understanding that is a decent price for a 5 ton
yeah it's a good price. Only problem I forsee is, if you're not replacing the indoor coil with a 13 SEER coil, the refrigerant metering device on the indoor should be an expansion valve. this will help with efficiency and, more importantly, control refrigerant flow in the indoor coil so as to not harm the compressor.