Window A/C unit icing up

Old 10-04-07, 12:08 AM
Window A/C unit icing up

Hi,

I noticed today that my window unit, which is a Mistubishi MWH-12FV, that is about 14 years old, was blowing very little amount of air, so little that it felt hot inside. So I opened the windows and turned it off for a while (about 30mins or an hour) and then turned it on FAN only, and it blew the air at normal speed, but the air was cold, so that led me to think that the unit was icing up.

So I turned the air con on to cool and I hear ice cracking, so I turned the unit off and took the filter out and saw that indeed the unit was icing up.

This is the first time this is happening, and the unit worked fine yesterday when it was 36C outside. It worked so well that I actually felt a little cold inside. So why is this happening today when it's like 21C outside?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-07, 02:39 AM
is it about 64 F outside when it starts freezing up. mine does it when its about that temp. i say its normal and the manual says so also.

Old 10-04-07, 05:14 AM
But you have to understand that that this has not happened in 14 years except for this one time (yes, we bought the a/c new 14 years ago, my God has it been that long..)

We've changed the filters but other than that we haven't done much to it.

Old 10-04-07, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Mini View Post
But you have to understand that that this has not happened in 14 years except for this one time (yes, we bought the a/c new 14 years ago, my God has it been that long..)

We've changed the filters but other than that we haven't done much to it.

after 14 years it's ready for a cleaning. you can slide the unit out of the chassis, take it out to the back yard and clean it with coil cleaner and rinse well. be sure it's COMPLETLY dry [all components] before you power it up again.

Old 10-04-07, 05:28 PM
Actually, I'm thinking of calling someone to do that, I don't want to get a new one because I'll be moving out of this place within 6 or so months.

But would you know why the unit is icing up?

Old 10-04-07, 05:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Whenever a unit freezes up, it usually means it's low on freon or a component failure.