Frozen Condeser line to compressor

Old 10-05-07, 10:27 AM
Frozen Condeser line to compressor

OK i have a York Model GIFA048521A, per repair report. Tech Sd i have a leak in the evaporator coil, leak tested, but he never opened the panel to my knowledge. Problem started with little air out of registers and not cold. Called Tech and found low r22 and frozen line outside (big ice block on the big line to compressor) Refilled r22 with 2 #'s and adv leak is tiny and we could run a/c till season ends, I live in St Louis. Unit ran fine for a week and a half then 2 nights ago no cold air and same problem. Before I call them back anyone have any other suggestions i might try or ask the tech to look at ?? Please and Thank You Guys for all the time you spend helping us unlearned bleeding hearts.
Thanks Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-07, 11:18 AM
frozen Compressor Line

Sory about that thread title
Originally Posted by nystevez28 View Post
OK i have a York Model GIFA048521A, per repair report. Tech Sd i have a leak in the evaporator coil, leak tested, but he never opened the panel to my knowledge. Problem started with little air out of registers and not cold. Called Tech and found low r22 and frozen line outside (big ice block on the big line to compressor) Refilled r22 with 2 #'s and adv leak is tiny and we could run a/c till season ends, I live in St Louis. Unit ran fine for a week and a half then 2 nights ago no cold air and same problem. Before I call them back anyone have any other suggestions i might try or ask the tech to look at ?? Please and Thank You Guys for all the time you spend helping us unlearned bleeding hearts.
Thanks Steve

Old 10-05-07, 11:41 AM
Wink

Well if he said you had a leak why didnt he fix it????? If everything is clean and motors working . Then next on ice and froston the lines is low freon. Dont know how old the AC is. If the leak is all in the evaporator coil,. Might just get a new coil is best.

Old 10-05-07, 01:40 PM
Thanks Steve

There are electronic leak seaking devices that will find a very small leak. The technician needs to pinpoint the leak with such a tool. With the refrigerant running low after only 10 days or so the leak should not be that hard to find. He may try to sell you on the idea of putting some dye into the system then coming back to search. They use a special light which hilights the dye. It's a similar idea to the TV crime shows where a special light shows traces of blood. However, I suggest the dye as a last resort. Your leak should be findable with convential methods. You indicate that somehow he knows the leak is at the evaporator coil but he didn't remove the panel. It's possible he tested at the drain opening and got a reading. Any tech working for me who knows a coil is leaking should quote the customer a coil changeout on the spot. Leaking coils are a common failure and pricey. How old is your system?

Old 10-05-07, 03:35 PM
Unit is 10 yrs old now, 1200.00 dollars for the evaporator coil. Anyone know a discount hardware place I could purchase the coil at? I have a family friend sd he could help. But he is retired and getting old.

Old 10-05-07, 05:35 PM
Wink

Shop around for cost or like get 3 bids for the job. Dont forget that any one working with the AC freon has to be EPA .

Old 10-05-07, 08:48 PM
hey Ed do ya know anyone in st louis that is epa and willing to do the job on the side?, I noticed your in Missouri also.

Old 10-06-07, 05:48 AM
$1200.00 is not a bad price for a coil and a good install. You don't want to cut corners on the install, otherwise you will be posting back for questions about a burned out compressor.

Old 10-06-07, 10:43 AM
Wink

Dont know anyone in St louis any more that would do the work for you that way. Been gone a long long time from there. Im at lake of the ozarks. Thats why Im a "Mountain Williams".
Might kick it around . 10 years old unit. Most go for 15 years is all at the most. So . New coil and new out door unit. Go from a seer of 8 or 10 say to a good seer of 15. Would save you in the long run. So you might be better off to get it all new now. If you go for the seer of 15 you can get a tax credit from the IRS.

Old 10-06-07, 02:44 PM
Unit is 10 yrs old now, 1200.00 dollars for the evaporator coil. Anyone know a discount hardware place I could purchase the coil at? I have a family friend sd he could help. But he is retired and getting old.
$1200 for the evaporator coil? or $1200- coil replaced, new filter drier, evacuation, unit recharged properly with new freon? If the latter, that's a good price, $1200 is what it costs. I don't think a homeowner would be able to buy a replacment coil. Problem is, the wholesale houses sell only to contractors.