Air Handler not coming on

Old 10-07-07, 09:26 AM
Air Handler not coming on

Our Ruud Air Handler is not even a year old and all of a sudden it stopped working. It is not turning on at all. I checked the circuit breakers and flipped them off and on and still nothing. I turned the thermastat off thinking maybe the coil froze and I left it off over night. I also went outside with a shop vac and sucked the drain out thinking maybe something crawled up inside and clogged it causing the auto shut off to well shut off due to water in the pan. When I turned it on in the a.m. still nothing not a peep out of it. I called the a/c guy he said there is a breaker on the handler its self in this clear plastic rubber type box. He said to press it against the breaker to see if it was tripped. I turned it off then on and still nothing. He said that he has had a couple of these new Ruud handlers that are having problems with the breaker on the unit and he will just by pass it. Has anyone ever heard of this? Do you recommed by passing it or since it is under warranty should the unit be replaced? Any help is appreciated. Also, if a unit is under warranty my sister in law is telling me I should not pay a $85.00 service call fee for a manufacturer defect. They should come out for free and fix the problem. What does everyone think?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-07, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by bjansen View Post
Our Ruud Air Handler is not even a year old and all of a sudden it stopped working. It is not turning on at all. I checked the circuit breakers and flipped them off and on and still nothing. I turned the thermastat off thinking maybe the coil froze and I left it off over night. I also went outside with a shop vac and sucked the drain out thinking maybe something crawled up inside and clogged it causing the auto shut off to well shut off due to water in the pan. When I turned it on in the a.m. still nothing not a peep out of it. I called the a/c guy he said there is a breaker on the handler its self in this clear plastic rubber type box. He said to press it against the breaker to see if it was tripped. I turned it off then on and still nothing. He said that he has had a couple of these new Ruud handlers that are having problems with the breaker on the unit and he will just by pass it. Has anyone ever heard of this? Do you recommed by passing it or since it is under warranty should the unit be replaced? Any help is appreciated. Also, if a unit is under warranty my sister in law is telling me I should not pay a $85.00 service call fee for a manufacturer defect. They should come out for free and fix the problem. What does everyone think?

No! Do not allow him to bypass the breaker. If it's defective, it needs to be replaced and probably under warranty. You need to check the paperwork that came with your system to verify the terms of the warranty. In most cases, parts are covered for one year but labor is not. Warranties vary from one manufacturer to the next, so it's time to read the fine print in yours.

Old 10-07-07, 01:39 PM
To Bypass or not to bypass

So are you saying don't bypass the breaker because there will be a problem or because it is manufactuer defect and should be replaced? Because we live in Florida and have a1 year old and we need our a/c operable a.s.a.p. I am going to read the warranty sticker on the unit and see what it says but I know it is under warranty for a year on the unit. Maybe bypassing will be a quick fix until they order the replacement. THank you for your reply.

Old 10-08-07, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by bjansen View Post
So are you saying don't bypass the breaker because there will be a problem or because it is manufactuer defect and should be replaced? Because we live in Florida and have a1 year old and we need our a/c operable a.s.a.p. I am going to read the warranty sticker on the unit and see what it says but I know it is under warranty for a year on the unit. Maybe bypassing will be a quick fix until they order the replacement. THank you for your reply.

I got the impression the tech was talking about permanently bypassing the breaker. If he thinks it's the breaker, then tell him to bring a replacement with him when he comes to your house. Frankly, it's never a good idea to bypass an electrical safety device, not even temporarily.

Old 10-08-07, 01:51 PM
Wink

The company that put it in should fix it for sure . Any units warranty run for 1 years on a unit . Like said : Dont just let him just jump a breaker. Call Ruud and ask them . No dont pay for a service call under 1 year.