please suggest me a heat pump system.

Old 10-08-07, 10:19 AM
please suggest me a heat pump system.

i need help choosing a heat pump and air handler combo. i plan on installing the unit and the ducting myself. i will have a professional charge the unit and braze the pipes. my house doesn't have an HVAC unit now. it is a 3 story row-home in baltimore. it is only 900 sqft, only about 700 will be cooled/heated. the windows are double paned about 50ftsq worth, 3 wood doors. the insulation is adequate and the exterior is masonry. and being that it is a row-home only 2 walls face the exterior.

i work for thermo king so i can get very good pricing from our local wholesaler of HVAC systems/parts. so i can't really justify paying $$$ for a professional to do the whole job and triple charge me on the unit.

they sell amana, miller, frigidaire, fujitsu, gibson and mitsubishi. but they won't recommend anything to me and paying $100 for someone to do a manual J work-up on such a small job seems worthless, as the cheapest/smallest units will probably suffice. cost is a major issue. don't wanna spend more than $1500. i don't care about efficiency as i will probably be moving soon. i just want something cheap. can someone please suggest me an air handler, heat pump and heat strip with model numbers, so i can just call them up and order it.

please....

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-07, 01:27 PM
2 words.....
Window units

Old 10-08-07, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by caseym View Post
i need help choosing a heat pump and air handler combo. i plan on installing the unit and the ducting myself. i will have a professional charge the unit and braze the pipes. my house doesn't have an HVAC unit now. it is a 3 story row-home in baltimore. it is only 900 sqft, only about 700 will be cooled/heated. the windows are double paned about 50ftsq worth, 3 wood doors. the insulation is adequate and the exterior is masonry. and being that it is a row-home only 2 walls face the exterior.

i work for thermo king so i can get very good pricing from our local wholesaler of HVAC systems/parts. so i can't really justify paying $$$ for a professional to do the whole job and triple charge me on the unit.

they sell amana, miller, frigidaire, fujitsu, gibson and mitsubishi. but they won't recommend anything to me and paying $100 for someone to do a manual J work-up on such a small job seems worthless, as the cheapest/smallest units will probably suffice. cost is a major issue. don't wanna spend more than $1500. i don't care about efficiency as i will probably be moving soon. i just want something cheap. can someone please suggest me an air handler, heat pump and heat strip with model numbers, so i can just call them up and order it.

please....

thanks in advance.
I hope I don't sound like a wiseguy, but with only $1500 to spend even at the wholesale level, you're going to suffer from sticker shock. Your house will be very difficult to install ducting into. Window units as suggested or ductless mini splits are probably your best options. Mitsubishi has a good reputation. At www.hvaccomputer.com you can get a heat load/loss program for $50.

Old 10-09-07, 02:19 AM
i didn't want to get into this much work but the low pressure heating system isn't working. all the radiators are leaking/rusted. and they aren't the nice cast iron radiators, they are just pipes with fins with steel covers, that also need replacing.

so the thought of putting a lot of money and time into an old busted ugly boiler system and purchasing window units seems better spent on something that will actually increase the value of the house.

it seems i can get a gibson 1.5 ton heat pump and air handler for about $1000. so i should be able to get by at around $1500 it could go up to $2000 and i'd be fine. the house is almost gutted now so routing/installing the ductwork is not a problem.

do you think i'll be okay with a 1.5 ton system or do you think i should go with a 2 ton:

thanks for your input guys.

Old 10-09-07, 12:01 PM
Honestly, installing a heatpump system in a three story home for $1500? Don't forget that with a heat pump, you will also need backup heat, either in the form of a gas furnace or electric heat strips. There's no way you can even begin to do that for $1500, and if you DO cobble something in your house for that price, it will not be a selling point, as the new buyer will most likely have to have it all ripped out and start over new. If you're going to the expense of gutting the house, you might as well spend the several thousand dollars it will take to do the HVAC job right!

Old 10-09-07, 02:40 PM
Where are you planning on putting the ducts??

What sized ducts?

What kind of ducts?

Where are you putting the air handler/furnace?

I am sure you can save some $$$ getting the equipment yourself...... but WHO is going to stand by it if something goes wrong?

Most equipment will ZIP for warranity if it is not installed by a dealer.... So if you do get that call in Jan when it's cold out and you call for service, plan on paying the guy....

do you have all the sheet metal tools?

I myself used to be in the field, and I had mine put in by a dealer... I could of done it myself.... But I wanted support and warranity if something did go wrong.

Old 10-10-07, 04:04 AM
installing an HVAC system isn't rocket science. the ducts are going to be sheet metal... i haven't decided if i'm going to use prefab. the air handler is going in the basement. the supplies are going in on the ceiling in the 1st floor and the floor in the second floor... the returns the opposite.

i'm not that concerned about the warranty because it won't transfer over to the new buyer... so it only has to last a year.

how is back-up heat a concern, a heat strip costs $80.

i've already said that i'm willing to spend $2000. i can get the parts for $1080. i don't think $420 on ductwork seems unreasonable. why is everyone jumping all over me on this one. when did this become www.****offyoucan'tdoityourself.com?

Old 10-10-07, 07:11 AM
i just got a quote from aireco

Gibson 1.5 ton system:
heat pump= $740
air handler= $343
heat strip= $51

so yes... $1500 is very doable and it will not be cobbled together. i'm sure i can do the ducting for less than $340.

and the system is warrantied thru aireco... you don't think a little social engineering could get by the fact that a professional didn't install it if something goes wrong.

Old 10-10-07, 10:31 AM
turns out i can get a brand new 60,000btu gas furnace for $511 and getting an A/C condender rather than a heat pump will save me $110 and i won't have to get the heat strip...

i guess for an extra $350 its worth it to have the gas furnace.

agreed?

Old 10-10-07, 11:31 AM
Wink

For 3 floors and all the duct work you will need . Then no one will be happy with it in heat or cool . Id go with a small unit on each floor. window or ductless.

Old 10-10-07, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
For 3 floors and all the duct work you will need . Then no one will be happy with it in heat or cool . Id go with a small unit on each floor. window or ductless.
go away

Old 10-10-07, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by caseym View Post
installing an HVAC system isn't rocket science. the ducts are going to be sheet metal... i haven't decided if i'm going to use prefab. the air handler is going in the basement. the supplies are going in on the ceiling in the 1st floor and the floor in the second floor... the returns the opposite.
If you put the vents in the ceiling, are are not going to be comfortable in heating since heat rise. Unless you got a good "throw".

i'm not that concerned about the warranty because it won't transfer over to the new buyer... so it only has to last a year.
What if the system don't work after a month of having it?

why is everyone jumping all over me on this one. when did this become www.****offyoucan'tdoityourself.com?
We are not jumping all over you.. We don't want to make a mistake, and regrete of doing it yourself. When I used to be in the field, I've seen a couple of homes that a home owner thrown in their home, and we had to rip it all out and start over cuz nothing was done right, and duct sizing was way off. It cost the home owner twice as much, and a new furnace since the heat exchanger and blower burnt out.

Old 10-11-07, 05:30 PM
This guy has heart. Dig in there man and do it. Heck I was just looking at a house that a guy had built himself the ultimate DIY project. Yup he started out with a old single wide trailer and this boy built himself a brick house right over top. Not real sure about the 4x4 floor joists and the 8" steel Ibeam laying on its side and the 10 different colors of brick (he painted the brick but unfortunately the paint is peeling off) but by golly he did it. The ductwork for the package unit (tetering on field stones) was a bit weak but she was hooked up to some fancy flex duct man. He was able to borrow 125k on this puppy so he took the money and ran, now its a foreclosure LOL. I dont think they were attacking you big C they were trying to help you a bit I think. You are obviously a avid DIYer GitErDun someone will marvel at what you end up with I bet. I doubt if it will be as jawdropping as the brick trailer though I just wish I had had my digital camera with me.