outside AC unit running intermittently

Old 10-09-07, 07:01 PM
outside AC unit running intermittently

I have a Janitrol CLJ361 outdoor compressor unit. Just a day ago, it started making that UUUUGGGG sound every 20 or 30 seconds. Tonight I came home to a muggy house and discovered that the fan in the outside unit was not spinning. I turned off the unit in the house and went forum searching. After reading some of these posts, I turned the A/C back on in the house and went back outside to look for control boxes and to see if I could start the fan spinning. I found that the fan WAS spinning, and has been running for about an hour now.

Am I still potentially looking at a bad capacitor? Or is my problem more likely to be a bad fan bearing or an overheating issue? Also, does anyone know where I can find a Janitrol manual or some diagrams? It's not real obvious where the control circuits and capacitors would be for me to go look at.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-07, 05:48 AM
That 3 ton Janitrol is pretty simple. Your problem could be either the motor or the capacitor or both. I suggest replacing the capacitor first and see what happens.

Turn off the power first !!!! The controls are under the cover where the power and thermostat wire (small wire) connect.