Air handler sounds like a freight train

Old 10-09-07, 08:35 PM
Air handler sounds like a freight train

What could be causing the handler to sound like that? It sounds like that the entire time that it is on. It's a straight cool a/c sounds like a train when it's on. It started doing this all of a sudden.

Any ideas what to check before I call a repairperson out?

Also, should a straight cool a/c air handler have a filter in the handler? I ask because the air handler for the heat pump that we replaced had a filter that I washed but this air handler doesn't have a filter in it. I just noticed that when it started sounding like a train - I figured that the filter must need to be cleaned and then there wasn't one where I opened it up.

It was installed April 2005. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-07, 04:35 AM
You must have a filter. If not your newish system will be ruined soon.

Pull the blower cover off and inspect the blower wheel real good. Could just be dirt build up or you could have a foriegn object in the wheel such as a dead mouse. Anything that can throw the blower off balance will cause it to sound crazy.

Old 10-10-07, 08:44 AM
Thanks, mattison. I thought there was supposed to be a filter. The people who installed it messed up the condensor when they installed it plus blew a transmitter in the air handler as well. Then they had the audacity to charge us both times for the visit to come out and fix it. Finally got somebody out who actually diagnosed the blown condensor and then we made the installers come out and replace it free of charge. It's not surprising that they wouldn't let us know that the filter was missing or that they failed to install one. Good gravy.

One other question - where would the blower be? My husband is going to see where he *thinks* it is, but I want to make sure.

Thanks.

Old 10-10-07, 09:47 AM
The blower will be in the airhandler inside the house. He may just find the filter in there when he opens it up or right where the return duct enters the airhandler.

Old 10-10-07, 10:11 AM
Filter locations

Hi all-

Sometimes the filter is located in the handler enclosure as a slot type insert where the intake vent comes in. I my case my filter is in the hall way ceiling fixture for easy access.