Window A/C Weight

Old 10-09-07, 06:23 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Window A/C Weight

Hi,

I've noticed with my Window air conditioner that all the weight is being supported by the window frame that it was put into. Is this normal? Because I've seen some a/c units being supported by two support level things (the ones that look a bit like triangles).

I'm planning to reallocate the a/c unit, so I'm wondering if it'd be wise to use support levers for the next a/c installation.

Old 10-10-07, 04:53 AM
Your window should not be supporting the majority of the weight. Especially if they are vinyl windows. Get support brackets and your window will thank you.

Old 10-10-07, 06:03 AM
M
Well, it's a metal frame window. I'd hate to say it but it's been supported by the metal frame for 14 years and hasn't had a problem. Should I be worrying that the a/c will fall out? o.O

Old 10-10-07, 08:38 AM
If it's been in there that long I don't think I would worry too much. I've used them in wood windows unsupported for years without a problem. Now as soon as you read this it will fall out.

Old 10-13-07, 04:27 PM
R
For safety sake, all window AC should rest on a support that will handle all the weight. I seen some installations where the AC was balanced on the window frame and the only thing that kept it from falling is when the sash was brought down on it. If somebody not familiar with the window decided to open it, then bye bye.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: