AC not cooling nor draining properly

Old 10-10-07, 06:13 PM
AC not cooling nor draining properly

I came home from work today and my house was hot. My AC was running but not cooling at all.
So, I went outside to see if there was water draining from the drain line, it was dry (even the dirt around it was dry), so I got a friend to hold his hand over the drain while I vacuumed the line out (as I have done before) however it did not clear the line this time.

I removed the access panel and saw quite a bit of water in various places inside the unit. I towel dried all the water I could see, waited a while, and turned the AC back on to make sure the fan was working etc. The fan and everything seemed to be working but very little air was coming from the duct and it wasnít long before I noticed a lot of water dripping inside the unit behind the fan motor, so I turned it off.

The compressor and fan outside are working fine and the blower inside seems to be working.
I suppose I have a problem with my drain pan and maybe dirty coils but I donít know how to get access to inspect it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Itís a 7 year old Frigidaire - model # FG6RA096c-16 . The compressor is outside and the fan and heating unit is in a closet.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-07, 05:31 AM
Are you sure the compressor is running and not just the condenser fan? Under normal conditions, the large copper line should be cool to cold and the smaller somewhat warm to hot.

Old 10-11-07, 04:41 PM
Quote "The fan and everything seemed to be working but very little air was coming from the duct and it wasnít long before I noticed a lot of water dripping inside the unit behind the fan motor"
Sounds like the coil may be frozen over and blocking airflow. Some closet units are real hard to get at the evaporator coils. Double check your return air filter to be sure it is new and clean first. Leave the unit off for a few hours to let it completely thaw out then restart, if you now have normal airflow the frozen coil diagnosis is probably correct. A frozen coil can be caused by several problems. Dirty return filter/dirty coil/duct damper closed off restricting air flow/all the house dogs laying across every one of the floor supply vents at the same time or maybe laying against the return grille LOL/intermittent blower fan or loose and maybe dirty blower fan wheel/low refrigerant charge due to a leak/running the unit at low outside ambients without the special low ambient controls in place/sealed system internal restriction/noncondensables or moisture in the sealed system and probably a few more that I cannot think of right now. Check out the ones that dont involve the sealed system first for a diy fix. Note: some systems are installed so that the only way to clean the evaporator coil is to remove it! If that is the case with yours you will need a HVAC tech and several dollars. No beer or cigs for a month or so. Try the 3 or 4 hour shutdown to let it Thaw out completely and then see what you have first. If you can maybe post a few pics of your air handler that shows the duct work attachments and refrigerant lines someone may be able to direct you on opening up a access hole so you can at least get a visual on the evaporator coil fins.

Old 10-11-07, 05:30 PM
Yes, the compressor is definitely running.

Itís been off since yesterday and the inside of the unit (what I could see) looked dry. I turned the unit on a little while ago, went out to make sure the compressor was on, it was, and the large tube was cold, and the small warm. I let it run a little while, and very cold air was coming from the duct. like normal.

A couple of days ago, when I first notice my house was hot, I turned the unit off, vacuumed the lines and left the unit off for about 6 hours. When I turned it on, just before bed, it seemed to be cooling well. The next morning, it was a little warm and when I got home from work, it was miserably hot and not cooling at all again. Thatís when I posted my troubles here. Last night after I posted this topic and turned the unit off, and I noticed a lot of water continued to drip, for about an hour, on the inside just behind the blower, and none went through the drain pipe to outside, even though I cleaned the line out really well.

I thinking Iím going to give it another try tonight and see how itís working by in the morning.

Wonder if dirty coils could cause it to not cool after itís been running for a time? Maybe freezing up or something. I dont know.

Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Old 10-11-07, 05:35 PM
Evaporator coil is freezing up most likely. what happens a lot of times is that ice actually blocks the flow of condensate water at the drain connection inside the drain pan and as the ice thaws the pan will overflow and runout inside the unit making a big mess. how is that return air filter ? NEW? CLEAN?

Old 10-11-07, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
Evaporator coil is freezing up most likely. what happens a lot of times is that ice actually blocks the flow of condensate water at the drain connection inside the drain pan and as the ice thaws the pan will overflow and runout inside the unit making a big mess. how is that return air filter ? NEW? CLEAN?
The filters are clean/new

Old 10-11-07, 06:26 PM
Iím thinking that the coils are dirty causing it to freeze up. The unit is 7 years old, I live in an old building. and have 4 dogs and 2 cats. Iíd be surprised if the coils werenít dirty.

How are coils cleaned? Do you physically scrub them with something? Or do you spray them with some type of cleaner? I can get access to the coils by cutting a large square hole in the trunk, just above the coils, then after I clean them (however you do that) I could re-tape that cut out square back in place. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for any advice. I really, seriously appreciate it.

Old 10-12-07, 02:24 PM
Wink

[QUOTE][/QUO I live in an old building. and have 4 dogs and 2 cats. Iíd be surprised if the coils werenít dirty.
TE]

Get a fin comb to help you clean the coil . Ill bet the inlet side of the coil is all dog and cat hair.