A/C making loud gurgling noises

Old 10-18-07, 06:18 PM
Question A/C making loud gurgling noises

The air handler is making a loud gurgling noise. I had a couple of friends listen to it and was told that there is an algae build up in the drain lines; that I needed to get an algaecide and pour it down the drain, but that bleach would work in the mean time. I poured some bleach down the drain and it helped for a few weeks, but the noise is back. We just purchased the house a few months ago, so I am not sure of the exact age of the unit. Is there a permanent solution to this sound?
Thanks,
April

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-07, 06:29 AM
There could be two things that may be the cause of the noise to happen.

It depends on what side the blower is on of the coil. If the blower is after the coil, the following things.

-Lack of air getting to the blower
Check air filter.
Check return vents, they may be blocked or lack of.
Coil is froze up (low on charge).

Open the service panel to the coil and look around and see what you got.

Old 11-10-07, 07:37 AM
Make sure that the condensate line has a properly designed and installed trap in it.

Without a trap, air surges back into the coil pan and causes numerous problems (noise is one of them).

Old 11-13-07, 03:37 PM
you can suck the line out from the outside with a shopvac or blow it out from the inside to clean it out if its clogging

Old 11-14-07, 09:21 PM
most of the noises coming from the drain lines are mostly due to a dry trap at the air handler or lack of a tee(vent). Depending on the age of the machine, static pressure could play a role. (dirty filter, dirty coil or obstructed duct work)